Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Buying Cars

EricW

I would not want to take on a semi or even a good size SUV in a plastic car!!

How do you that would end up?

It would end up with folks having to buy heavier, less efficient, space wasting vehicles that can't stop or turn worth a damn - oh wait, that's where we are now thanks to the SUV craze and lack of driver discipline/training...

Better driver's training and folks having some common sense when it comes to maintaining their vehicles is the only real solution to the problem - both of which will probably never happen. If people didn't crash as much, we wouldn't need the safety that makes our vehicles so heavy. If they paid more attention to the road, and had a clue how to avoid accidents (through proper track training forcing them into skids and hairy situations), they would realize that weight is your biggest enemy in maneuvering, and maybe they'd buy a lighter, more nimble vehicle to AVOID the crash more than SURVIVE one...

This is not a rant against Dirty Chamber at all, just a further teration of my previous comments :D

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got your new ride right here!

How do you that would end up?

:blink:

I wouldn't want to collide with a semi in my 350 Heavy Duty either. You might want a larger truck. Eric might want high tech.... Dude, support diversity. :D

This is not a rant against Dirty Chamber at all, just a further teration of my previous comments :D

Hey, no rant taken. I'm just saying can you imagine your average celebrity Beverly Hills chick or

even some other everyday hhmmm, eccentrics going through a tire burning track spin out driver training course.

If that was the requirement then maybe half the people out there may not be driving, or drunk driving!!! (not a bad thing!!)

Until then i'm going to put my familly in the big armored, 15 airbag, seatbelt retractor, traction control, climate control,dvd/audio, MAV" (mom's assault vehicle) to protect them from these people!! ;)

Know your pain Eric.

My brother-in-law is a sales manager of an Acura and Infiniti dealership. When the wife wanted a new car, called the in-law. Got a car from medical professional who trades in his ride every 2 years like clockwork. All service done at the dealership. Very good pedigree. Price was way under book. Done deal. Wifes happy. I'm happy.

When it came time to retire my old beater I didn't want to go with an upper end car. Not my style. I'd rather get another wisdom tooth removed that haggle and hassle with a salesman. Went to Enterprise Rent-A-Car and checked out the rental cars for sale lot. No hassle pricing. Easy to work with. Granted buying a car from a rental lot is like going to a whorehouse to find a wife. You know its been rode hard. But I've had zero problems with the car and the price was fair.

If you want something really different. http://smartusa.com/ Granted it has the carrying capacity of a shoebox. But parallel parking should never be a problem. Just pick it up and put it where you want.

My first car was a 1959 Chevey, the one with the wide eyebrow like tail lights. You could fit 4 people across a seat, put your house in the trunk, the people in the back seat had LEGROOM.

My second car was a 1968 Dodge Dart. 273CI V8, 3-speed on the column, no air, am radio. Got ove 20 MPG, sat 6 in reasonable comfort. Woud easily break 120mph, would smoke the tires in all three gears and it handled exceptionaly well for a large 'Mid-Size" car. Now it would be considered full-size of better.

I just went through the buying experiance. We needed a car that we can flat tow. It must be an automatic and I have to be able to sit in it comfortably. The 4 choices were: Saturn Vue, Honda CR-V, Chevy Malibu and Jeep Liberty Sport.

All are in the approximate same price range. Chevy Malibu, is SMALL. sitting in the front seat, my head is under 1/2 inch from the roof in driving position. If I sit up straight, I hit the roof. Hoda has a very light load rating, 850 poounds 4 people will essentialy max out the car without any "stuff", Saturn has an ok Front seat, but the rear seat is like an upholstered plank. Short base and HARD. Also and equally important, my wife, whose carit will primarily be didn't like the looks. On to the Jeep. Comfortable, handles well (It is an SUV, not a sports car and I do know the difference) is quieter than her Oldsmobile, has an unlimited mechanical warranty, engine and drive train.

Could I have done better? Maybe. But one thing I have leared after making a purchase is, If you want peace of mind, when you make a purchase, STOP SHOPPING. Did you all ever notice that a week after you buy something, your buddies are all there to tell you about the great deal they could have gotten for you? Why aren't they ever there with the deal of the century BEFORE you buy?

Anyway, I am done buying new cars for a couple years. not unhappy about that.

Jim