Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Jeez, all this dying...

SiG Lady

Well, that older cat I mentioned in the Poody thread was put down yesterday after all--just got the e-mail from my ladyfriend in Olympia, WA that he'd quit eating and just gave up. He was nearly 20 years old (Siamese). This was a cat that I helped raise during his first year... he stayed at our Copy Shop during the day and went home at night with the ladyfriend. Dang, Percy's gone.

Not only that, I was late in getting to read the newspaper on Thursday (and was having a damn' weird day altogether anyway)... and opened up to the obituaries only to see the face of a business associate of mine!! Cancer has the habit of taking perfectly wonderful, healthy, innocent productive people in their prime of life. He was the owner of a local print house that I use exclusively. And he was a gun-owner, too. His brother will carry on the business.

Dang... all this dying! Tends to happen in winter, I've noticed. :angry2:

Life and death are all part of the same picture, really. Totally natural, totally real. It's a matter of how we interpret it. New life always comes around to take the place of those who depart. When a vacuum occurs, we need to 1.) fill it with something, and 2.) carry on.

Sorry to hear about your cat - we had to put our young cat down on the 26th. He was only 18 months old but had started having violent chest heaves on the 24th which continued throughout Christmas day (no vets in our area open on either day). We met the vet when she opened on the 26th and after a battery of tests determined that he had contacted an incurable feline disease. Gathered up my two sons and went to the vets to say goodbye to him just before we put him down - that was tough (especially for my youngest son since Shakespeare had sort of "adopted" him as his favorite human). It's amazing how attached one can get to a pet in such a short period of time.

Now our other cat is really depressed and wanders the house looking for Shakespeare - they were best friends who groomed and played with each other constantly.