Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

3x magnifier on limited rifle ?

Sudden Death

Not trying to thread hi-jack, but thought I'd jump in and save bandwidth!!! I have the same question about a Tactical Rifle. I've been told that it doesnt count as an optic, and you can use the flip-out-of-the-way mount, with the only provision being what starts a match on a rifle must end the match on the rifle.

Just looking for a rule guru to confirm?

On a Tactical rifle it is ok. It is part of an optic system and considered like a variable scope. I do not believe it can be used on a limited rifle because it is part of an optical device. For the final word as far as USPSA goes ask John Amidon.

Edited by chendersby

A ruling for tactical has been issued

Date of Motion: 9/29/05 10:03 PM

Result: Passed

Motion 3, Magnifier interpretation – President moves the BOD to approve the

following interpretation. A magnifier may be used with an optical sight in Tactical

division without violating the "one optic" rule, provided:

a) the magnifier does not contain an aiming reticle

B) the magnifier can not be used as an aiming device by itself

c) the magnifier is mounted in the same location on the rifle for the entire match

If these provisions are satisfied:

a) the magnifier will not be considered a second/separate optic,

B) and the competitor may start and use their optic in either magnified or unmagnified

mode without further restriction.

Does not allow magnifier use in Limited, and I can't imagine it would be allowed.

2008 draft rules for Rifle includes the interpretation in the Tactical Division Appendice

following interpretation. A magnifier may be used with an optical sight in Tactical

c) the magnifier is mounted in the same location on the rifle for the entire match

B) and the competitor may start and use their optic in either magnified or unmagnified

Does not allow magnifier use in Limited, and I can't imagine it would be allowed.

2008 draft rules for Rifle includes the interpretation in the Tactical Division Appendice

I know this quote is talking about tactical but from what is said here it is NOT an optic or aiming device it should be ok for limited too ????

I know this quote is talking about tactical but from what is said here it is NOT an optic or aiming device it should be ok for limited too ????

No. It says that it would not be called a second optic, if it can only be used with the primary sight. It becomes part of a single optic system. The system is still an optic.

Edited by wide45

wide45, thanks for posting the answer, I'd heard it, but just wanted to confirm it.

Happy New Years to Everyone!