Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

ar barrels

wcmesa

I had Randall do some work on one of my uppers and did a really good job; this was back in September 2007. He makes custom barrels by hand using Krieger or Shilen blanks. I did hear something from calguns.net about him not being available, but I think that was the time he was out of town.

I've no experience with ar15barrels.com, sorry. Take a look at White Oak Armament for barrels. I installed one of their SPR barrels for a friend. He's very happy with it.

I can speak to not only to the barrels from White Oak Armament, but also to John Holliger's excellent work. He has built 2 uppers for me. Had to twist his arm to do a pretty straight forward build using his SPR barrel, but after describing more of what the 3-gun game is like with the long range requirements and what we are NOT (weekend commando's, etc) he got enthused about it. The upper was built using John's SPR barrel, JP handguard, and a Cooley comp. A bit heavy for my personal tastes, but accuracy is great. Getting about 3 moa with Win. Q3131a, but with my handload using Sierra 69 grn Match king, the groups go about 1.5 moa. That was 3 years ago and I've recommended his barrels/parts/gunsmithing to all 3-gun competitors. I'm building my own upper now with his lightweight 16" barrel and expect to experience similar results.

• 2 weeks later...
I just ordered a barrel from White Oak for a service rifle this past Monday. According to the UPS treacker it should be in my house tomorrow.

Did you get the barrel? I'm looking at the DPMS barrel BL-DC, but they are always out of stock.

Try this barrel from Rainier Arms they are made from Shilen blanks by WOA. John's service is superb.

Those Rainier barrels simply say WOA contour. Not the same as made by White Oak Armament. Holliger's barrels are actually machined by Compass Lake, on Wilson Arms blanks. That's the word by the Highpower shooters.

You're right, they have the 16", 18" and 6.8 SPC specified as WOA barrels which cost less. Their Ultramatch barrels are profiled by Compass Lake and WOA helped on the design.

Edited by norbs007

I'm shopping for a barrel as well. I can't decide if I want a 20 or a 18. After that I can't decide if I want to go with a Sabre defence SS, fluted, 1x8 or a JP ultra light in 18. Then I read this and Merlin says DPMS has a 20" SS flued barrel in 1x8. Man there are to many choices!

I just ordered a barrel from White Oak for a service rifle this past Monday. According to the UPS treacker it should be in my house tomorrow.

Did you get the barrel? I'm looking at the DPMS barrel BL-DC, but they are always out of stock.

The barrel arrived. I had the impression when I spoke to him that he has some in stock. When I spoke to him he said that his shipping service had already been there that day, but that it would definitely go out the next day. I ordered on a Monday afternoon and it got home on the next Friday.

alright, my tagalog sux, so what's "walangkatapat"? i remember walang pera(sp?), and a few others i can't say here.......

Back in the 80's when I was stationed in Cubi I saw a commercial for Red Horse beer it went something like Red Horse primo macho walangkatapat, something like that. It means no match, I figured it would be an unfamiliar aka to use on the net and it has been.

went to subic alot from '79 to '81. i left enough brain cells there as it was, terrified to think of what would've happened if i'd been actually stationed there! met this Pinoy shooter at a match, area 6 i think,(can't remember his name, fast little open dude), and he said, "you should go back, your kids are probably grown by now....." what can i say..... :o

Edited by bigsaxdog

• 4 weeks later...
went to subic alot from '79 to '81. i left enough brain cells there as it was, terrified to think of what would've happened if i'd been actually stationed there! met this Pinoy shooter at a match, area 6 i think,(can't remember his name, fast little open dude), and he said, "you should go back, your kids are probably grown by now....." what can i say..... :o

Hangin around the FIRE EMPIRE...That could happen :blush:

I kinda miss the PI

Jim

I was station in Cubi B Co and we'd only see liberty every other week. One week you'd spend in Cubi, the next you'd rotate with first platoon out to the NavMag. It would have been great if we had liberty every night, of course there would have been more penicillin to be given out. :lol: