Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Pistol Compensators

warpspeed

I'm just getting ready to machine several comps for a new open gun I'm building. I figured I would try 4-5 different designs and materials. Personally I was planning on machining the steel then hardening it. The materials I'm going to use are A2, 4140, grade 5 Ti, D2, and just for kicks some exotic work hardening stainless steel like MP-35 or MP-55.

For the Ti comp I'm going to machine it, harden it, then press fit a threaded stainless steel bushing in it. I might pin the bushing in place, but I doubt it would need it.

I really like the Brazos comp configurations and the 7 port EGW. I'm planning on starting with 4 or 5 .300" wide chambers and add side ports to see how they affect the gun. I will probably try angling the front port forward on one comp to see how that affects the feel.

I would imagine a steel comp that had been chromed would give the longest life. If I have comp ready the next time I send something to the plater that is getting a Black Diamond coating I'll have it plated. The Black Diamond coating is suppose to be over 90c, but I'm afraid it would be subject to chipping.

I've been looking at every comp I could find and they seem to be a very subjective item, what one person likes another one hates. As others have said I would suggest trying other peoples guns and work from there.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Leo,

How's goin it?? haven't seen you guys in a while i know, but i will soon. are u and stew and ray still shooting ur 9x25's or have u gone to something else? also, have you guys changed your loads with the new power factor and have you changed your comps to shorter models or no?