Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What makes a good Steel Challenge gun?

Flatland Shooter

Any USPSA gun will work fine for SC.

What you need to get really good is your own set of steel and a place to keep it set up to practice.

SC is FLAT OUT SPEED. You need to figure out the fastest way for you to run each stage then fine tune EVERYTHING!

Jerry has come very close to winning overall with his revolver so "stuff" doesn't mean as much as what you do.

Look at the scores from SC and do the math. Figure out what their draws and transitions have to be to get those scores.

On "Smoke and Hope" 2 years ago Jerrys average run time was 1.8. 1.8 seconds for a draw and hits on 5 different targets.

Break that down and you will see, if there is ANY wasted motion you ain't winning.

• 2 weeks later...

while it is nice to have a dedicated steel gun, you can use your ipsc gun with reduced loads.

example, if your maj load is (9.1 gr. of xyz) reduce it to 8.0 gr.

what this does is it drops it bellow maj vel. with the same bullet.

while this is not and all out steel load, it will still function the gun and use the same zero,

and you won't have to change recoil springs.

ty-3853

• 4 weeks later...

I had Sandy make a 9mm barrel for my .38sc gun with no comp. I wanted to use it for cheaper practice and found out that it works like a champ on steel with factory 9mm loads. I am going to work up a good flat shooting steel load with 115 or lighter bullets and start shooting more steel matches.

daves231.jpg

I still have an STI Stinger in 38 super ( that is the base gun that STI is marketing in 9mm as a steel gun) that I am going to work up a load for. I still have a ton of 38 super brass since switching to 9mm Major in Open. Another safe queen will resurface for Limited- Wilson Super Grade in 38 super and 9mm (two topends).