Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Redding rifle dies.....

DougCarden

I bought the Redding dies for .223 and .308 because everyone I know said they were the best. When I got them I found out that I need to buy a flipping bushing die for them....

OK, but I have no dies to measure the resized case diameter I will need to know to order....

Can someone familiar with these dies give me numbers? I will be loading LC brass in the .223 and FED .308 match brass as well.

Also, should I go UP and buy the TI coated bushings or will the standard ones work fine?

Thanks in advance,

DougC

Just call Sinclair, those guys are top notch. If you ask them, they'll know. The guy I talked to a couple of years ago asked if I was neck turning or not, etc. before recommending a bushing. I'd go with the coated, just because I've had no trouble with mine, no experience with the uncoated.

Edited by John Dunn

• 1 month later...

yo doug....it's dave moss, cliff's friend from the iowa match.....don't know about .308, but i do alot of .223 with my redding dies. i use a .244 bushing with one of their free float carbide neck expanders. kinda looks like a football..... but.....the problem is if you size the stuff w/ the .244 bushing first, it knocks it down too far for the first step, the mouth comes out kinda belled. .245 works good too. .246 is too loose w/ LC brass, might work w/ winchester. i use mine after the dillon trimmer, and they come out great. just kind of a problem if you size them to .244 first. it seems most of the brass i find measures about .256, and i've been told that you can only go about .005 per step. good luck, and see you next year......

My stash of Black Hills .223 ammo measures .246-.247 at the neck... so, if you subtract the .002 that Dan mentioned, you end up with a bushing size of .244 or .245, like bixsaxdog said.

Sounds like pretty good correlation to me (but calling Sinclair is never a bad idea!)

B

Are you going to be using an expander ball with your bushing sizer die or are you going to be turning your case necks? If you size your neck on the outside only without uniforming your neck thicknes, you will be seating your bullets off center due to varying neck thickness. Your rifle may not like this accuracy wise or it could not matter if your rifle isn't that accurate to begin with. I think Redding sells a few different bushing type dies. IMO you would be better off with a normal die especially if you're going to be shooting your 223 out of an AR.

Nick

• 3 weeks later...

So what did Sinclair set you up with? I just got a set of these dies and I have the same problem, especially since I have a whole bunch of different brass that measures all over the place. I don't know what to get! :wacko::huh:

that's what you'll find when you use the bushing dies, is that all types of brass has different neck thickness'. LC is thin, winchester and RP is about the same, i forget about that british radway green stuff.....i use a .244 bushing, and i also use a redding elliptical expander ball all the time. But i do this after the dillon sizer/trimmer, so they are already pretty sized when they go in the redding die...you just gotta try all the ideas, but get some tools that will measure everything.

• 2 weeks later...