Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Briley Mag Extension For Browning Gold

Scooter

I just got my mag extension from Briley. I installed the extension, new mag spring, and new carrier spring. Haven't changed out the recoil spring, will do it when I test the gun. Well, I proceeded to stuff rounds into the mag. The mag tube is suppose to hold 8 rounds. 8 went in, but so did number 9.

The gun is a Browning Gold Euro 3" with a 28" barrel. The Euro is now the Classic model. Anyways, the tube does seem a bit long also. It sits 4.75" behind the muzzle. Which would result in a 23.25" barrel if I was to get my barrel shortened. So is all this normal?

Should I make a plug to stop that 9th round?

Scooter-

dont do anything to it, it needs that length for the mag spring to keep from binding. Look at gettin a 3.5" magnum recoil spring, Brownell' has em in the back of the book.

I have the extra power recoil spring from Briley, just haven't put it in yet. I'm going to test fire first to see if I need to pull the gun apart to replace the spring.

So you don't suggest putting in a plug to limit the capacity? How do you prevent yourself from accidentally loading 9 rounds instead of 8?

I wouldn't worry about putting in a plug, it might mess with the reliability of the gun. I would definatly suggest the stronger recoil spring right off the bat. You will take care of the cycling problem you get when you put a longer mag spring in. I put a Sure Cycle mag tube on mine and i could also get 9 in the pipe. I just make a mental note to not load it that far when im shooting a match. Plus its real hard to compress the spring when your doing a speed load. I have a 24" barrel on mine. The tube is longer than the barrel unless i have the ext. choke tube in.

The problem you are likely to encounter is the failure of the bolt carrier to completely close on the bolt after firing a round with the mag fully loaded, which prevents the hammer from striking the firing pin.

The problem you are likely to encounter is the failure of the bolt carrier to completely close on the bolt after firing a round with the mag fully loaded, which prevents the hammer from striking the firing pin.

Yep, that happened to me a couple of times at the Texas State 3-Gun. Had to make sure I pushed the bolt the rest of the way forward.

Liota

I'm having that problem with my Gold (3" chamber & 10 round tube). I do have stronger 3.5" recoil spring (whole spring kit from Briley) but it still happens.

I also check that bolt is fully closed at start but it is the second round that makes this malfunction. Bolt doesn't close fully or it closes too slow. So I have time to pull the trigger and gun doesn't go boom it just clicks.

This happens even when I load the tube only with 8 rounds. I have shortened the magazine spring (coil by coil) and that helped a little. I also tried to put some extra strength to recoil spring but it didn't help much/at all.

Any other suggestions?

EvilPJ,

For once I might actually have a ggod answer. I just had mu Browning Gold set up by Briley. It turned out very nicely. However, I had/have the same problem: 9 in th etube instead of 8. So, I called Briley and talked to Claudio in the tech section (he handles this stuff). he said that their mag tubes are of a generic length, and in some guns this length will let you load 9. He said that if it were shorter, it could cause the spring to bind. His solution for me (and I'm still waiting), is to make a longer, hollow follower. The spring can go in it, but I can only load 8. Sounds like a good idea to me. Let me know if I can be of any other help.

-deke

I put in the extra power spring. Gun ran fine. If felt funny shooting because I can feel the rounds moving in the mag tube.

As for the extra round, I'm going to turn a delrin plug that'll fit at the front of the mag extension. I could just buy a shotgun plug and cut it down, but it won't be as cool. Plus, I'll be working on the lathe turning other delrin parts anyways. I figure I'll make it about 1.5" long, that can account for a little over 1/8" difference in shell size over 8 rounds.

Maybe I wasn't that clear.

My problem with Gold is that one mentioned by AH6IP and Liota in their posts.

So longer follower/plug won't do me any good.

Thanks anyway.

Are there any Gold's that are actually running with 10-round tubes and working?

AH64, sorry I haven't responed to your email offering help as of yet, but I don't have regular email access. Sounds like the out of battery issue is the one I am having, which I thought was light firing pin strikes(could have sworn there were light dimples in the ejected rounds primers!!). I cleaned the bolt the other day and the pin seemed fine. I am in the process of shortening my mag spring also. Think my latch spring may be an issue also cause part of my problems occur when rounds in the tube slide out too far and jam the elevator(carrier??) so I can't top off the tube. As to the follower with the Briley follower mine wouldn't even fit in the factory tube so it got the hammer treatment during a moment of rage...

I made my plug, it's now a 8 round mag, but I do need to shorten the plug just a hair. It's got about 1/4" of play.

Deke, if you want a plug, I made an extra one.

The latch spring is one you HAVE to replace. The Briley one is a reduce power spring. I replaced that one immediately because it wouldn't chamber a round straight from the mag when I first hand cycled it.

And now for some new info-

ISMI, makers of great springs for other blaster types, told me they will be coming out with associated mag and recoil springs for shotguns, ie Browning, this summer. FWIW