Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Flash Suppressor On Hbar

deke

Okay guys, I'm sure this has happened to some of you...

I'm trying to take the stock flash hider off of my Colt HBAR, but it is stuck on there in a big way. I want to put on my new Miculek comp. Should I heat it up with a torch? I hate to clamp the barrel in a vise. All suggestions are appreciated.

-deke

I had to clamp my HBAR in a vice to get the sucker off. No fun there. I have heard of people going to the range with some thick gloves and a wrench-- blast through a couple 30-round mags right quick to get the barrel hot, then grab the wrench and go at it..

The torch should work better than rapid fire, I'd think. We want to heat the barrel as little as possible while heating the FS, so the FS will expand and the barrel won't.

I'd clamp the barrel in a padded vise, heat and try, heat and try, etc. I bet it'll turn right off, way before it gets hot enough to hurt anything.

Joe

if you don't what to take the chance of hurting the finish, brownell's sell 2 barrel vise clamps. the cheap $15 one is aluminum, and the expensive one is 50 buck. the $50 one has a thick rubber lining that grips the barrel and allow you to remove the flash hider without having to heat it up. also the only part that touches the barrel is the rubber lining so there is no chance of it hurting the finish.

I soaked the flash suppressor in KROIL for about 5 days, and then used a barrel vise and wrench. I would highly recommend the barrel vise, it makes a huge difference.