Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

"Appraising" a used SDB

Hello folks,

I'm new to reloading, and have bought a used Square Deal B that came with three die sets (9mm, .40, .45), among several other accesories.

I have the instructions manual and I've read it, but I have yet to get a good reloading manual, because there's a lot of things I obviously don't know/understand!

It's in pretty good shape (or at least I think it is!) but there are two evidently broken parts:

prensaxp1.jpg

prensa2zx5.jpg

Anything I should worry about there?

Also, is anyone interested in doing something like

but with a SDB? :P The dies didn't come installed and factory-preset, so I have to struggle with their calibration and it's driving me crazy.

PS: I have very limited space for a sturdy bench, so I was thinking of doing something like this for the press, and make working space with a regular shelf by the side:

imagen10kp5.jpg

imagen34bk1.jpg

imagen35ys1.jpg

Opinions? Suggestions? They will be more than welcome and appreciated.

Calling Dillon and getting new parts might not be that easy.

The second picture is the low primer warning, and it will probably work fine as is.

I have never used a Square deal, so I don't know what the other thing is.

Calling Dillon and getting new parts might not be that easy.

The second picture is the low primer warning, and it will probably work fine as is.

I have never used a Square deal, so I don't know what the other thing is.

The first picture I think is where the primer catch bin is located.

Not a big deal if it is missing, just place a trash can under the press to catch the spent primers.

The second crack is not a big deal, the low primer alarm will work just fine as long as the electronics inside are ok.

easy test, put the battery in it, and push the black plastic arm on top of the unit down.

If you hear a BEEEEEEEP then you are good to go.

As far as your mount on the wall, I would want something a bit deeper so you have some space to work with.

However, the idea of a SOLID mount is right on.

I know Dillon replaced the cracked low primer alarm housing and the primer chute for me.

Your location could pose a problem, but who knows.

Make a bullet bin out of an Akro-Bin, using a piece of stragetically placed 16 GA steel to support it on the left side. Make sure you leave enough room for your brass supply on the right side. Use the tiny Akro-Bin that came with the press for the bullet bin. Use the next size up for the finished rounds.

The damaged low primer alarm will no doubt still function, but the broken primer chute will result in dead primers all over the place.

Edited by JFD

The broken parts are covered under warranty, you just pay for the postage. As for adjusting the dies, call and ask for Steve Chavez at extension 217, he can walk you through the die adjustments in Espanol if required. You can download the manual in English from dillonprecision.com. Go to the overhead menu, click "MAnual", click SDB, opens in a -pdf format. :ph34r:

The broken parts are covered under warranty, you just pay for the postage. As for adjusting the dies, call and ask for Steve Chavez at extension 217, he can walk you through the die adjustments in Espanol if required. You can download the manual in English from dillonprecision.com. Go to the overhead menu, click "MAnual", click SDB, opens in a -pdf format. :ph34r:

yet another excellent example of the best guys in the business. :cheers: