Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

shooter's/tennis elbow surgery recovery

DarthMuffin

Last month I had surgery to fix tennis elbow in my weak arm that I've been battling for 2-3 years. It was most likely repetetive strain from work (typing), and the problem preceeds my getting seriously involved in shooting competetively. Anyhow, if anyone has had this surgery done, how long before you were up and shooting again--both practice and competing again at close to your prior level?

Thanks.

Tom

I had both elbows done in separate operations about a year apart. The operations were probably more drastic (I'd torn the tendons loose where they attach to the bone) and they had to be completely re-attached. This also happened in the late 70's and at the time it was pretty much experimental surgery. It worked. No problems since and I've been shooting competitive handguns since the 60's. I was back at work in three weeks both times, I was however restricted to what I could do for about 6 months. Full recovery took approximately a year. Keep in mind that tendon surgery takes a lot longer to heal because the blood flow is restricted. Do exactly what your doctor tells you to do and do not push it.

See if anyone in your area offers ECSWT. Or ossatron. (same thing). It is a nonsurgical shock wave therapy delivered to the damages epicondylar structures. I use it for chronic Plantar Fasciitis (Heel pain), which structurally is the same thing.

Hope it helps.

Do not rush it, take your time and do as the doctor sayes.

I had the surgery in my shooting/strong arm two years ago, started too fast and hard and got chronic tennis elbow.

Now I can not shoot as mutch as I want to

Edited by harald

• 2 years later...

Do not rush it, take your time and do as the doctor sayes.

I had the surgery in my shooting/strong arm two years ago, started too fast and hard and got chronic tennis elbow.

Now I can not shoot as mutch as I want to

Harald and the others are right and really it is the only thing to remember. Everybody heals at a different pace and you are better off taking some extra time then ending up in a more serious situation.

See if anyone in your area offers ECSWT. Or ossatron. (same thing). It is a nonsurgical shock wave therapy delivered to the damages epicondylar structures. I use it for chronic Plantar Fasciitis (Heel pain), which structurally is the same thing.

Hope it helps.

Not to hijack the thread too much but what is the connection here ? I have had both really bad, shooter's elbow, and Plantar Fasciitis ? What is it about our makeup that causes these problems with our tendons and hook ups ? Anyone have more info as to diet or vitamin/mineral deficiencies

I solved the elbow with lots of anti inflammatorys and a strap for a year or so. I had such bad Plantar that I limped all day, the only time it did'nt hurt was when the buzzer went off !! Really :wacko: I once again used the anti inflammatorys and can now only wear shoes with Power step inserts or I'll start to feel it again in a few days.

Myself I would not do any surgeries until I could not walk or move my arm at all. There are a lot of therapy remedies if you follow them correctly.

No worries about the thread hijack. If you look I started this almost 3 years ago. I'm pretty much healed up now. I still do not have the strength in my left arm that I had -- Weak hand shots are terrible because the gun shakes. Other than that I can shoot fine. I've noticed that after the surgery you do have to keep up on the strengthening exercises. I will probably be doing those the rest of my life :(

I had some minor Plantar Fascitis last year. I went to the foot doc and he made me some custom inserts/supports and recommended a heel cushion. Since then it's been fine. I have a high arch, the opposite of flat feet, maybe you do too. The high arch is good for support but not for shock absorbtion, thus the heel cushions.

3 YEARS !! :surprise: I hate when that happens. Who goes to revive such an old thread like that anyway.

You had PF as well ? See I think there is something to it, a lot of times they go together somehow. I just wish I knew how ?

• 4 weeks later...

For my elbow, my doctor said take 100mg of vitamin B6. He says it supposed to naturaly puts things back into place. I personally did not notice a difference. I had surgery on my right wrist (strong hand) back in may and cannot shoot anything till the middle of august. I had all of the cartilidge reattached and it take a while to heal.

Not to hijack the thread too much but what is the connection here ? I have had both really bad, shooter's elbow, and Plantar Fasciitis ? What is it about our makeup that causes these problems with our tendons and hook ups ? Anyone have more info as to diet or vitamin/mineral deficiencies

It's more strength deficiency than vitamin/mineral.

Chronic tendonitis can lead to bone spurs, which I have BTW, so you want to correct the problem. Like Jake said it is a muscle imbalance and overuse type of thing and a google search will find a lot of corrective exercises. That being said I pretty much only shoot minor now and practice is mostly with a .22 upper.

Intresting, and I could see this being an issue for the tennis elbow, I also have some minor wrist pains from an overuse issue. I work with my hands all day long and then shoot or dryfire the rest of the time. However I cant see how strenth imbalance would be an issue with Plantar ? It's a hardening or over tensioning of the facia in the bottom of the foot right ?

• 2 months later...

It's important to note that you need to get properly diagnosed, tendonitis is one cause (I've just gone through a year of tennis elbow) but nerve entrapment is also an issue, particularly if you work behind a desk all day, grinding your arms against the surface and the armrests of your chair.

I had ulnar nerve entrapment in my right (weak) arm for six years, which got much worse after I started shooting. However it was fixed completely with a few months of PT, mainly stretching and ibuprofen along with Astim treatments. (think hard massage with rigid plastic tools to break up scar tissue)

Then tennis elbow showed up in my strong hand back in March, due mainly to picking up golf again and practicing way, waaay too much. Plus shooting and lifting weights, and it was a done deal. PT brought me back to 90% after 3 months, then a cortisone shot fixed it completely. I'm hoping that it will stay fixed and I can start up new regimens with bigger rest intervals, but I've also fixed my work enivironment ergonomically, and that's a huge plus.

H.