Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Just Another Kimber...

SiG Lady

Yes, my KimberBlaster had/has a reputation around the club owing to who BUILT it and who OWNED it, so... I was lucky. But smart, too, because a lot of people KNEW it was a nice piece and had their eyes on it. I still think it was just timing and proper fit. The gun was just sitting in the owner's drawer gathering dust (and badly needed cleaning)( :P ) and tying up money. I guess we both just came in first in the competition for good timing.

"Class. Heh." Absolutely. B)B)

Congradulations on your new blaster. :D

I sometimes wonder if people who have problems with their guns out of the box are not exagerating a bit. Although I do not have the years of expirience that many of you have had my guns have had very few problems. The only problems I have had with my p12 and p14 Were mag spring related. Replaced the springs and the problems dissappeared. The two glocks I've owned were 100% Trouble free. My Rugger 22/45 was trouble free for over 30,000 rounds until the ejector pin loosened up. My kimber just recently needed tho have the extractor tuned after over 20,000 trouble free rounds.

Then again maybe I'm just lucky.

Shoot in peace. Fire with skill.

I sometimes wonder if people who have problems with their guns out of the box are not exagerating a bit.

Well . . . let's run down my litany of problems:

1. first 1911-style gun . . . lightweight Para-Ord P14.45 . . . like you, the reliability problems were cured permanently with Wolff springs in the magazines, so I'll grant you that. On the other hand, the bushing was "fit" so that it was actually riding on a couple of burrs. It shot okay at first, but after a few hundred rounds a curious helical scratch pattern developed on the barrel. Then after a few hundred more rounds, I could not keep my shots on the paper at more than 10 yards or so. Fixed with a new, properly fit bushing.

2. Colt's 1991A1 commander... barrel not fitted properly and would not function. Series 80 parts peened beyond capacity to function within a few hundred rounds; hammer follows slide frequently (this one is still in the shop)

3. steel P14.45 . . . inside of frame grossly out of spec . . . sear was actually sliding around inside on the pin to where it would cease to function; had to have two shims ground to replace the Series 80 levers and occupy the space.

4. Springfield Armory 1911A1 loaded - required installation of .40 ejector (which required machining a new slot) due to oversized breechface. Also had an undersized slide stop that would wander its way out of the gun even when it was in battery, thus causing the slide to lock halfway open at random times. Holes for pins were not square, so the sear/hammer originally were mating only on one side. Also need an elevated mag catch/release to function.

5. Springfield Armory Ultra Compact - won't function at all ... which is curious since it seemed to work okay for the previous owner. Currently being used to cannibalize parts.

etc. etc. etc.