Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SVI magwell for single stack

steel1212

I've got a couple of regular wilsons I'll see if they fit the CMC's, if they fit I'll order a extended one. I'm guess though that you have to grind some off the extended on though right?

With a cut off wheel on the dremel I think it could be made to work.

Edited by steel1212

Well just to get the wilson on the CMC your going to have to extend the notch on the pad all the way forward as wilson's are 2 diffrent sized lengths on either side and neither goes all the way forward. As far as fitting the box i would say your going to have to take some off the front of the pad to fit as well.

A buddy is letting me borrow his SVI magwell sunday and if it works with my CMC's I'll be buying one in short order. If it doesn't I'll buy a extened wilson pad and see if I can make that work, then if I can buy a SVI magwell in short order. If not then I might have to sell all my cmcs and buy wilsons lol then buy a SVI in short order lol.

Well just to get the wilson on the CMC your going to have to extend the notch on the pad all the way forward as wilson's are 2 diffrent sized lengths on either side and neither goes all the way forward. As far as fitting the box i would say your going to have to take some off the front of the pad to fit as well.

A buddy is letting me borrow his SVI magwell sunday and if it works with my CMC's I'll be buying one in short order. If it doesn't I'll buy a extened wilson pad and see if I can make that work, then if I can buy a SVI magwell in short order. If not then I might have to sell all my cmcs and buy wilsons lol then buy a SVI in short order lol.

Buy it, you know you want it!!!! :devil:

After 2 hours of solid practice last night with my new SS rig, I am struggling mightily with reloads. I am learning the meaning of "look the magazine in". Painful. My shooting is ok with it, but the reloads are killing me. A magwell may very well be the ticket.

After 2 hours of solid practice last night with my new SS rig, I am struggling mightily with reloads. I am learning the meaning of "look the magazine in". Painful. My shooting is ok with it, but the reloads are killing me. A magwell may very well be the ticket.

The magwell will help but you still need to look for the opening.

The magwell will help but you still need to look for the opening.

What Cooter said!!!!!

In MY opinion, the SV magwell is much more beneficial for a GOOD consistent grip on the draw.

YES, it does help reloading, but it is a single stack, not a double stack that narrows at the top like the the limited mags do. In Limited, you have a LARGE magwell opening, and the top of the magazine is narrow, so you can slop a good reload no problem. NOT the case with SS, small magwell opening and a no-tapered magazine. The SV magwell will help, but it is NOT the answer to Limited-like reloads. ONLY practice can accomplish that!!!

I hope that helps.

ZH

Here's my .02... I have one SS that I've been shooting that has the SV magwell on it and another one that has the medium tech-well mag well on it.

I am consistently smoother and faster with the tech-well. It's just about to the point that my reload times with the SS aren't that far off from my reload times with my limited gun; but only with the tech-well. And I'd be willing to wager that the biggest time loss on the SS setup vs. my limited setup is more a result of the position of the mags on the belt, and not the gun. But I do practice a lot. ;)

All other things being equal, I'm going to be using the tech-well and not the SV. Like Z said - don't get bogged down in the equipment race thinking that this that or the other is going to make you a better shooter. There aren't any silver bullets and only practice is going to elevate your game.

Derrick do you have pics of the medium techwell with a mag inserted vs. the SVI magwell with a mag inserted? I'm wanting this for the grip, Like Z, not so much for funnel. In SS there is no cure for the small hole of the SS only practice will make it better.

Derrick do you have pics of the medium techwell with a mag inserted vs. the SVI magwell with a mag inserted? I'm wanting this for the grip, Like Z, not so much for funnel. In SS there is no cure for the small hole of the SS only practice will make it better.

I do not, but if you send me a PM with your email address, I'll take some pics when I get home tonight and send them to you.

(I've no freaking idea how to post pictures here!!!) :blink:

I'd have to say that you can feel the SV mag more so than the techwell.

• 2 weeks later...

I tried the SVI magwell out sunday before the match. And while I can say its a very nice design, I would have to upgrade all my mags either to wilsons or at least mod my CMC's to take the wilson's extended basepads then file down the front of those basepads. To me it doesn't give me enough a better grip to justify. I may still get one in the future but right now I'll stick with my SA that looks like a freaking black hole now that Want2Race moded it lol.

Guess I'll order the aluminum one and see how that goes. If it makes 41oz with mag...man the IDPA guys are gonna hate me lol.

As long as the pistol complies with the IDPA division rules, why would we hate you? :cheers:

Do the small captive screws stay tight over time?

The ones that think only stock guns and IWB holsters should be allowed would hate me, but I don't want to get that argument started lol.

I'm with you as long as its with in the rules its good to go.