Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SVI magwell for single stack

steel1212

Well I'm wanting to get real gamey lol. I have a few questions that I couldn't find answers to.

what are your weights on your SS .45 guns with the SS or Blued steel ones?

Does the grip feel like a wide body with a SVI magwell, other than the obvious width differance?

Edited by steel1212

No, I weighed it without the mag, gun ONLY

Sorry, but I do believe the Springer has a lot more cut out under the grip.

Gotcha, isn't there a 43 oz weight limit with a mag or in USPSA is it with out?

Steel or aluminum?

Edited by steel1212

I have only had it on for 3 matches but it seems to be holding up very well. I will say that it is a little rough getting it on but once it is on it is rock solid.

kimbermagwell.jpg

P1010003.jpg

kimber1.jpg

This is with the 47D mags I now have the extended ones from Wilson, I believe the 47DE?

Edited by cooter79

I already have a target on my back...I shoot a eagle in ESP lol. Most of the guys I shoot with in IDPA are cool with the eagle but I really think there will be some that will question that SVI magwell. If it makes weight and fits the box I don't see what they can say.

The IDPA box and SSD box is the same exact size right?

Uh oh...what are you going to do to get below the 43oz limit? You know, if Jim found out about this he might want to tattle on you :P

Uh oh...what are you going to do to get below the 43oz limit? You know, if Jim found out about this he might want to tattle on you :P

I think USPSA is only "fit in the box", NOT weight :D

Edited to Add: He has the pink T-Shirt, he won't tell

Edited by zhunter

The weight for uspsa is 43 oz. I tried using the SVI with the 47D'S while waiting for the DE to arrive and had several occasions were I did not seat the mag completely and that really kills yours rythim. That and it hurts slamming your hand into the mag well over and over!!!!!! :lol:

I think USPSA is only "fit in the box", NOT weight :D

Edited to Add: He has the pink T-Shirt, he won't tell

Nope...it's 43oz with an empty mag and the box.

I bought a Techwell magwell and the alumagrips Bob gets made to match them (hollowed out on the inside). He said the combination was still lighter than a steel S&A magwell.

Jim said he's not afraid of a little pink and showed everyone on our squad yesterday!

I have used several different mags....the key is a deeper (read thicker) basepad and - with some - you have to modify the basepad around the front area to allow the mag to seat. Without some material removal the pad may hit the front of the magwell and prevent it's seating properly/fully.

I see a lot of people using wilsons with the DE pads. I have a pile of CMC power mags will they work well or would I have to change mags as well....that would get real expensive!

I have an aluminum SVI magwell -- my experience is the same as the rest here: you'll be sorry if you don't use a magazine with an extended basepad. I have some CMC Power 8's, and some Kimber TacPro's. While the CMC's seem to work fine when practicing, in a match I've been burned by not seating the magazine firmly enough. The TacPro's with the extended basepad (like the Wilson DE's) work fine, though you have to trim the pad to fit in the box.

BTW, the magwell is nice, but it's not the huge difference I'd thought it would be, and not that much faster in my limited SS experience than a blended S&A. A good reload is a good reload. A reload that's slightly "off" will still be good. But a sloppy reload still "sticks" in a single-stack, and even with the SVI you just can't throw 'em up there, the way you can with a double-stack.

I'm looking at it a bit diffrent than most people. I'm more interested in the grip it would provide, simulating the SVI magwell on my STI. If I have to buy wilsons with the DE basepads to use it though I may look at the techwell if that might work?

Steel -

The mid-length Tachwell is fine. 47DE's and CMC magazines with CP Bullets extended pads work great. And they all clear so you don't hammer your hand. Joe milled a set of Gunner grips for me to use with the well and the fit and finish is outstanding.

I haven't seen the SVI well (photos only) but I'd like to try it too. Innovation makes this sport what it is.

Scout, where do I find these basepads for CMCs at? I like the techwell, don't like the idea of having no option but running their grips. I probably could send them my VZ but if I can get extended pads for the CMCs then I'll go with the SVI.