Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

WC oversized release

Coolduckboy

I put this in the General Gunsmithing on the hint on if it will go into the STI. I have one on my Springfield Army 1911A1 but am not sure if i am able to get the right threading for the the WC oversized mag release on the STI frame. I have Stubs as thumbs so i would normally have to use my left thumb to drop the mag as i am going for a magazine on my belt, I don't want to do this anymore and same some precious .2-.4 sceonds off my reloads.

Thanks for the information though.

I've been using one for years on my Mark IV Colt .45", then moved it to my SVI Limited.

The tap is 4-40 for both, and it will fit.

Having said this, I will tell you I switched to a similar (but slimmer) button, made by Gans: thin classic; I have two, one for my Limited SVI and one for my SingleStack Colt.

It provides (for me) the same ease of reach, but doesn't get depressed when the gun is lying flat on a table ... ;)

Are you asking from a legality perspective? If it is the one that is extended rearward in length, then yes it is legal. We had an incident during the staff match at Area 1 this year. A guy shot most of the match before someone noticed he had one and he was told he was being bumped to open. I believe Floyd Shoemaker (RM) got on the horn to Bruce Gary (A1 Director) and then John Amidon and there was supposed to be an official ruling that this was legal for limited since it is only extended rearward and does not provide a thumbrest to help control recoil.

However, I just checked the official NROI rulings and don't see it on there. But what is said above was the verbal from Amidon for this match.

Hope that answers your question.

splashdown

I don't understand how an extended mag release makes you jump to open unless it doesn't fit the IPSC box if the match is held under IPSC rules ? ? ?

Edited by Julien Boit

Ok for a thumb rest, but a mag release extension ? ? ?

How can we consider that this kind of part can be seen as a device to control recoil ? !

:huh:

Edit :

Just saw the parts from Al's link to brownells.

I'm still wondering how this part can be considered as a device to control recoil !

Edited by Julien Boit

Ok for a thumb rest, but a mag release extension ? ? ?

How can we consider that this kind of part can be seen as a device to control recoil ? !

:huh:

Edit :

Just saw the parts from Al's link to brownells.

I'm still wondering how this part can be considered as a device to control recoil !

I bet you someone will say it is.

I want the WC Mag Release, It is big and extends towards my thumbs far enough that i can press it with my right thumb. I might have to shave some grip off to get it perfect. So as long as my mag release is drilled and tapped i will be able to put it on?

I want the WC Mag Release, It is big and extends towards my thumbs far enough that i can press it with my right thumb. I might have to shave some grip off to get it perfect. So as long as my mag release is drilled and tapped i will be able to put it on?

Yep. You just want the button right. The whole thing wilson sells is for a single stack 1911, the 2011 is wider. Just have your mag release tapped 4-40.

What about the STI mag button?

http://stiguns.com/Products/index.php?pid=62

Edited by HoMiE

No worries splash, I knew your mind was somewhere else.

HoMie,

That doesn't come back far enough. My short thumbs can't reach even that without contorting my grip of the gun when doing a reload into a way that i don't feel like i have control of the gun. I guess i will have Rob do this for me.

Already bought a Stock STI Edge and the price was perfect for me

Plus I get to make changes to it instead of having a custom limited gun and not liking it.

I meant a custom mag button, I'm sure Rob can do that as well. ;)

Coolduckboy, Have you considered the right side mitchell mag release? I use it on my SV and STI. I don't have to switch my grip at all to hit it, and, no worries on table starts! However, at $125 new, it sounds like it will break the bank for you. I got one used for $75.

http://www.bulletworks.com/Mag_catch.html