Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

200 SWC or 230 RN

1911vm

I am about to purchase a large quantity of bullets and trying to decide what to get. I have been using 200 SWC and now thinking that 230 would shoot flatter in the same power factor is this correct or am I just losing my mind. thanks Vlad.

Edited by 1911vm

I have been shooting the 200 gr. SWC's and am going to work up some loads

with the 230 gr. RN. TGO advocates heavy bullets and fast powders. A visit to

his website will explain the rationale.

I have been shooting Clays and can tell you it is significantly easier to make

major power factor with the 230 gr. bullets. I have to load 4.2 gr. of Clays and

my understanding is that I am close to a max load with the 200 gr. bullet.

could you give me a link to TGO web site please. thanks

major power factor with the 230 gr. bullets. I have to load 4.2 gr. of Clays and

Typically we load longer than the book so your usually good for a few extra tenths. I run 4.1 of clays with my lead swc bullets. Jacketed would be pushing it though as I would say you would need 4.3 but I still think you would be fine.

Other than I feel RN bullets are far more reliable in the long run over SWCs (very significant to me), it's all up to YOU to decide which feels best.

I like the feel of both for different reasons, but settled on the 230 RN even over the 200 RN because I like a "push" more than a "snap".

Typically we load longer than the book so your usually good for a few extra tenths. I run 4.1 of clays with my lead swc bullets. Jacketed would be pushing it though as I would say you would need 4.3 but I still think you would be fine.

I am loading with an OAL of 1.25 and have tested up to 4.3 gr. of Clays with no visible

overpressure signs. On the other hand I do not want to see any indications of overpressure.

Other than I feel RN bullets are far more reliable in the long run over SWCs (very significant to me), it's all up to YOU to decide which feels best.

I like the feel of both for different reasons, but settled on the 230 RN even over the 200 RN because I like a "push" more than a "snap".

I have never had a chance to shoot 230RN that have been loaded down to power factor. The 200 swc’s average 175+ and they are definitely liter then factory 230. And I do like push more then snap.

And I do love that nice round hole that on more then one occasion helped me to to brake that perf. Line :goof:

I am about to purchase a large quantity of bullets and trying to decide what to get. I have been using 200 SWC and now thinking that 230 would shoot flatter in the same power factor is this correct or am I just losing my mind. thanks Vlad.

I think the reference to "flatter" is the feel of the gun, i.e. less muzzle flip, not the that the slower moving heavier bullet will shoot flatter than a faster moving lighter bullet. The difference that is often overlooked as not important at 20 yds or less, but at 50 yds a slow moving 230 grainer and it's non-flat trajectory has caused a many a missed target!