Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rainier Jacketed vs Plated? vs Winchester?

ChrisMcCracken

Cabela's is selling under this heading: Rainier LeadSafe Total Copper Jacketed Bullets - Per 500 for $54.99

Midway is selling under this heading: Rainier LeadSafe Bullets 45 Caliber (451 Diameter) 230 Grain Plated Round Nose Box of 1000 for $89.99

Are these the same bullets or does Rainier make both plated and jacketed?

Cabela's is also selling winchester for similar rates: Winchester Bulk Pistol Bullets - Per 1000 - .452 230gr FMJ for $109.99

Given that midway will charge about $20 in shipping and Cabela's is free, they're all about the same price.

Which is the better bullet? Is the Winchester the only real Jacketed of the lot? Does it have an exposed lead base? Does exposed lead matter for cleanness and health?

Guidance in these matters is much appreciated.

:wacko: Chris

I have had very poor experience with Rainiers. I dont feel they are even suitable for cheap blasting ammo, I found inconsitent sizing so much that adjusting crimp was impossible. To my knowledge they only make plated bullets. Winchester Jacketed bullets are far superior. Another sugestion Hit A&P Arms across from Lyhnhaven mall in Virginia Beach. They used to carry Berry's copper plated bullets at better prices than the Berry websight.I have had good results with Berry's and are the only plated bullets I would consider, another good bullet to look for is DJ cast. I beleive the caster is local so they are pretty cheap also,,, All this is 3 year old info so things may have changed. I my opinion I really dont think it affects health issues no matter what bullet you pick based on my activities and my recent lead level tests, (allmost zero) . The copper or jacketed bullets are cleaner on your gun though.

I also had problems with Rainiers. I would occassionally get one deep seat and fail to feed on a slide lock reload. the problem was reduced somewhat by crimping the case just enough to take the bell out, over crimping made it worse. I switched to masterblaster polymer coated bullets and had no problems, they are out of business so I have got some Precisions in, but have not tried them. I have thought of trying the Rainiers again using a Lee factory crimp die to see if that would eliminate the deep seat issue, because they do shoot very clean.

Robin

• 2 weeks later...

Rainier are all plated and the plating is thinner/softer than Berry's or Montana Gold. The Rainier 230 RN also has a very pointy nose compared to a traditional design. I've one gun that won't feed the 230RN but thrives on their 200SWC.

I've not seen gross issues with inconsistent diameters on the Rainiers but the double-struck Berrys are more consistent. Neither are Bullseye accurate at 50 yds but they're adequate at shorter ranges.

Note that Cabela's now adds a $6 per box of 500 shipping surcharge ... they skip that if you order it for pickup at a local store branch. Midway does shipping by straight weight and won't use USPS Priority 70# boxes. So, it's UPS rates for their shipping.

/Bryan

The Rainiers I got at Cabelas are "plated" not jacketed, I would say a mis-print description. I couldn't get them to fit a case gauge using standard reloading dies. I started using the Lee FCD and so far it seems to have fixed the problem. I haven't shot enough to know it is fixed but for sure definately improved.

Rainier are all plated and the plating is thinner/softer than Berry's or Montana Gold. The Rainier 230 RN also has a very pointy nose compared to a traditional design. I've one gun that won't feed the 230RN but thrives on their 200SWC.

I've not seen gross issues with inconsistent diameters on the Rainiers but the double-struck Berrys are more consistent. Neither are Bullseye accurate at 50 yds but they're adequate at shorter ranges.

Note that Cabela's now adds a $6 per box of 500 shipping surcharge ... they skip that if you order it for pickup at a local store branch. Midway does shipping by straight weight and won't use USPS Priority 70# boxes. So, it's UPS rates for their shipping.

/Bryan

Cabela's does not charge a shipping surcharge. I just got an order this week from them and there was no surcharge. They charge a flat rate shipping depending on the dollar amount. I no longer order from Midway because they will not ship in the USPS flate rate box and their shipping prices are outrageous.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
you shouldnt have any trouble with the bullets...especially with standard dies...unless you are using AMERC brass,

Harmon

AMERC brass doesn't work with any bullet does it? I don't know how they load it at the factory. That brass is only good for scrap.

I had good luck with Rainier in my Kimber. Just don't crimp too tight and make sure you're using a taper crimp, like the Lee FCD. Search on "free freight" on Midway's site for bulk bullets with shipping included in the price.

The Ranier plated 200 Gr. FP has worked very well for me in 45 .

Not quite as accurate as Zero JHP's but will still hold all A's past 35 yards .

Berrys plated are every bit as good as the Raniers in 40 and 45 through my guns .

The Win FMJ's ( and most other FMJ's ) have an exposed lead base .

AMERC brass is thick and short , if you shove a plated bullet in an unbelled case ( short cases don't get belled as much as longer cases ) it can shave the plating right up one side of the bullet . A lee FCD will mash the deformed bullet back into a shape that will chamber . This should be avoided . Pressures can get scary high when this happens . I have proof .

Plated bullets should not be crimped at all .

Bullet dia. plus 2X case wall thickness minus .002 - .003 measured right at the mouth works for me .

Just remove the bell .

Bullet setback is usually due to the case being the wrong size to grip the bullet , crimping more won't help at all , it can actually the bullet looser .

Make sure the hole in the case is smaller than the bullet by .003 +- .001 and they will not set back .

Actually measure stuff once in a while , ESPECIALLY the expander on a new set of dies .

Just my .02 , works for me , YMMV , Etc...

Travis F.

• 3 weeks later...