Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Firiing pins

UW Mitch

I wanted to post a review of firing pins. Here's the specs of each - mass in grams, overall length in inches, outer diameter of the firing pin near the tip.

• Factory
    • 6.46 grams
    • 2.584" OAL
    • 0.062" OD near tip

[*]EGW Oversize Long

• 5.25 grams
    • 2.599" OAL
    • 0.065" OD near tip

[*]Henning X-long

• 4.30 grams
    • 2.639" OAL
    • 0.062" OD near tip

The lightest and longest is the Henning. The EGW is oversize to prevent primer flowback. I don't know if this is a problem, but I (knock on wood) haven't ever seen that before.

I didn't ever shoot the gun w/ the factory firing pin. It started out with the EGW. After I re-adjusted a loose over-travel screw, I shot it again and had a fail to ignite (FTI) 3 of 100 rounds with winchester primers and was 100% reliable with Federal primers. Rich at Canyon Creek generously sent me a Henning X-long to try out. I shot 100 rounds with it, having 1 of 100 rounds shot today FTI all Winchester primers. I didn't shoot any with Federals but I'm confident that it would be 100%. I'll probably go back through and put some Flitz on a cleaning patch to "polish" out the firing pin channel in case there's a micro-burr.

So the skinny is go with Mr. Skinny's X-long firing pin if you're gonna lighten the hammer spring or have ignition problems.

~Mitch

Edited by UW Mitch

Tanfoglio makes both small and large frames. Most countries import the small frame for 9mm while EAA only import the large frames. That's why "EAA" pistols are large frame only, while rest of the world will experience both sizes. My personal preference is small frame if you're shooting 9mm only. The nice thing about the large frame is that you can "technically" convert any frame to any caliber. This is why EAA chose to only import the large frames and also to eliminate confusion with parts supply. Lots of parts are interchangeable between large and small frame. Parts that are not are: firing pins, trigger bar, magazines, slide. Everything else you can use for any frame.

also might try 1# heavier hammer spring or just go with all federal primers.

good info..thanks for sharing.

I'm planning on using Winchester Small Pistol Primers for my practice ammo since they're easier to get and cheaper, and use Federal Small Magnum Primers for my match ammo. In my area, USPSA takes the winter off, so I'll have a few months before the next match - I'll be able to test the gun a lot more before its first "real" match. But also, it's getting colder, so it's time for snowboarding and SCUBA!

~Mitch

Edited by UW Mitch

With the Henning X-Long you should never have a misfire. If you do it's because of something else is off. Most likely (well recent stuff I've come across with people) is the over-travel screw is set so that the sear catches on the half-cock when the hammer falls. This will of course slow down the hammer and cause insufficient force to set off a primer. The hammer at this point is more or less stopped. So back off the over-travel a until you can feel there is no resistance when you hold the trigger all the way in and you manually move the hammer.

The other is high primers and there is no way this will go bang. Make sure you're reloading properly and that all primers are set just sub-flush primer pocket. Bad primers do occur on occasion, but always try shooting the round again to be sure. So 13lb hammer spring and X-Long pin should always work. Winchester Small Pistol primers is my favorite and they never seem to put out bad primers.

With the Henning X-Long you should never have a misfire. If you do it's because of something else is off. Most likely (well recent stuff I've come across with people) is the over-travel screw is set so that the sear catches on the half-cock when the hammer falls. This will of course slow down the hammer and cause insufficient force to set off a primer. The hammer at this point is more or less stopped. So back off the over-travel a until you can feel there is no resistance when you hold the trigger all the way in and you manually move the hammer.

The other is high primers and there is no way this will go bang. Make sure you're reloading properly and that all primers are set just sub-flush primer pocket. Bad primers do occur on occasion, but always try shooting the round again to be sure. So 13lb hammer spring and X-Long pin should always work. Winchester Small Pistol primers is my favorite and they never seem to put out bad primers.

I never thought of that,..might explain the weird primer strikes....even when using factory hammer spring. (16lbs!)

tried a 14lb hammer spring with a 2.5" EGW firing pin today at the range (short slide firing pin is normally 2.48"). These pins are similiar to the Henning pin. ALthough I can only use it in production division in the USPSA (IPSC production OEM parts only :blink: ) , I will probably get a .40 LC 2, and I should get similiar results. The EGW and 14lb spring worked flawlessly for 200rds. I put in my new OEM pin (the original was a little peened, or just short), and had some light primer strikes. SO long story short, lighter hammer spring= you need the Henning xlong pin. I think I could have used the 13lb spring and still had reliable ignition, but time was an issue today.

Edited by Mo Hepworth

Tanfoglio makes both small and large frames. Most countries import the small frame for 9mm while EAA only import the large frames. That's why "EAA" pistols are large frame only, while rest of the world will experience both sizes. My personal preference is small frame if you're shooting 9mm only. The nice thing about the large frame is that you can "technically" convert any frame to any caliber. This is why EAA chose to only import the large frames and also to eliminate confusion with parts supply. Lots of parts are interchangeable between large and small frame. Parts that are not are: firing pins, trigger bar, magazines, slide. Everything else you can use for any frame.

do you sell mags that fit the Stock/stock2? Are they chromed, or black?