Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SV IMM 9mm Major test fire...

jostein jensen

I think looking at your data being at 156pf once you get to major you are going to notice more muzzle lift. You are looking at gaining 12 powerfactor at least to be comfortable, maybe more depending on how you feel that is at US 165pf. That is 90 fps or so yet. You are going to feel that.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree the idea is that more powder works comp better etc. But in that much of a difference you will notice it some.

the lift is all preferential. My dot just sorta fuzzes out with my 169pf hs6 loads with 115's. It does not lift so much as just get distorted then pull back together. That is an interesting situation because I don't really have to wait for the dot to fully return. I can wait til the fuzz starts clearing then be on the trigger again.

Others I know can not call a shot without seeing the lift. It is personal.

I had the sameprimer problem with my shorty 9major, a extended firing pin (used the one from Mclaren) and moving from Federal 100 to WSP solved the problem(I stared somewhere in this forum a thread about this isse).

I have 3 hole in the barrel but not as big as jostein, only 3mm.

I chronoed yesterday 2 loads

1. 7.8 3n38, 124speer,29,5mm, wsp, 8 pound spring, 1306 - 1340 ft/s pf161.1 - 166, very compressed load

2. 7.6 Hodgdon Longshot, 124speer,29,5mm, wsp, 8 pound spring, wsp 1400-1432 ft/s, pf 173-177 this one can be lowered a bit

I'll try to post some pic of the fired brass.

cheers

1. 7.8 3n38, 124speer,29,5mm, wsp, 8 pound spring, 1306 - 1340 ft/s pf161.1 - 166, very compressed load

I'll agree thats got to be one compressed sucker! I have a whole mm of extra room in my cases and thought I was compressing :P

It could be I would make major with the 8.xx loads if I shorten them a bit, but I'd rather keep the lenght and see how far up I have to push the loads to get there...

What temperature and altitude did you chrono in?

Have you chrono'ed in other temps and altitudes with same ammo?

I've got no refrences myself, but plan to keep chrono'ing when the winter is over to log temp differences.. We're at around 30m's.

I did a chrono this summer at the same altitude but at around 20°c and there was just a slide increase in pf

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

New owner (sold the gun to finance the Bedell I'm waiting for, and no - Leo didn't get it :P ) tested the gun with N105.

9.5gr gave 164pf with the two hybrid barrel, and 162 in the shorter barrel with three large hybrids. I never believed the gun would make major on 105 in 9mm, but it did :)

He's still going to be using 3N38 for a bit more comfort above PF floor...