Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which steel targets to buy

Guninhand

Hi folks,

I want to buy some MGM targets, but they have a lot of designs and I have a limited budget. Criteria are, in descending importance:

Use mainly for rifle up to .308, out to 200 yds, but usable for pistol too.

Self resetting or easy remote reset, but ability to disable reset (for ipsc matches) desirable

Not too much trouble to load and unload in pick-up bed

Able to indicate hits in rapid fire...not too long to reset

able to tolerate 12GA slug, including homemade slugs from wheelweights.

The Double Loli-popper with C zone looks good, and they have these mini poppers called sammies that reset on a spring.

Any suggestions? If there's any steel target you have used that doesn't meet these criteria but is a barrel of fun anyway feel free to mention.

I have a pair of the MGM Colt Speed Plates. Spring loaded, they have survived hundreds of .223 shots at 100 and 200 yards. They're also good for shotgun birdshot targets. I've shot them a few times with slugs. Target steel was O.K. but I knocked them over since they were not anchored. I haven't shot them with .308 but in my experience, .223 does more damage to targets then .308.

If you are going to shoot rifles at stell be sure to get 500 brinel steel from MGM or whoever else you buy your steel from.. At IDPA Nationals someone who shall remain nameless shot an AR at short distance at one of the steel targets (400 brinel for pistol) and dinged it. Thus, use 500 for rifle.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

When you find a target that is all you wanted in a target...buy it...and tell the rest of the planet the news!

Amen to the 500 AR steel, it is a must if you are going to shoot it with an .223 or 308. At 100 meters green tip (Army issue .223) will only leave a small mark and both MGM and R&R (randrracingonline.com) targets. If you are shooting these targets please have the steel at least 100 yards away for safety and help keep the targets from melting from the energy these bullets are traveling.

The Sammy targets (MGM) are the same as the Colt speed plates but with a miniture US Popper target (at least that is what we call it out here in the West). Pretty small target to hit with a slug at say 60 yards. Great target to shoot at 100 yards. MGM's sniper legs are not a must but can help with emplacement.

You can shoot the R&R self setting targets with almost all USPSA weapons of choice. Low/no maintance and easy to move is a big plus. Go ahead and throw into the back of the truck and easy to assemble/disassemble with the heavest part being about 30 pounds.

Hope this helps.

Busyhawk

• 3 weeks later...
MGM specify 500 for their rifle targets.

PD, Tks for the link. Those targets are supposed to chime like a bell. Do you find them easy to hear?

I shoot at 500 strength targets I made at over 800 yards and you can hear the chime clear as a bell. It just takes a while to hear it at that distance.......