Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Not sure if you have purchased a camera as yet. The new Nikon D80 looks like a great deal. It seems to be the little brother to my D200.

Good Luck

For you Canon fans I went Nikon digital years ago (D100) as I already had a lot of Nikon glass from the film days.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nik / Yamil,

How do the focal lengths work with digital cameras these days? I know that 50mm is 1X with a film SLR, but I've read that the standard has changed with the digital SLRs.

Thanks!

Eric

It depends upon how large the Digital Sensor is compared to 35mm film.

http://www.dpreview.com/learn/?/key=focal+length+multiplier

Eric,

for Canon --- the 1D bodies provide a focal length multiplier of 1.3x --- so your 50 looks like a 65 would have on 35mm neg, and your 200 looks like a 260mm. The 10D/20D/30D and digital Rebels have a multiplier of 1.6x so your 50 becomes an 80. Last but not least the 1DS and 5D are full frame sensor bodies, so your fifty stays a fifty.....

In addition, Canon has released a small number of EF-S lenses --- they're autofocus, but work on the 1.6x multiplier bodies only, because they're designed to only provide coverage for the smaller sensor. All the EF lenses are interchangeable between 35mm film and all digital bodies....

Nikon has similar things in their lineup --- Yamil for details, maybe? And some of the aftermarket lens makers are getting into building lenses specially for the 1.6x sensor cameras.....

If you decide to go shopping for Canon glass, feel free to shoot me specific questions......