Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SV Tube 9mm Major Mag questions

rgkeller

Been through all the posts I can find and read the manufacturers' websites and my head hurts. So I thought I would ask a few questions here to see if I can get my head to outright explode.

I have a couple of 168MM, one 158MM, several 138MM and one 130MM SV tubes I use in 9MM major.

Various and largely unplanned collection of Dawson +1 basepads, Arredondo basepads that are 20mm high and add capacity, several types of followers included six month old Grams, and a bunch of springs including 13 coil grams and a couple non grams 13 coilers.

I would like a couple of 28/29 big sticks. 28 go in easily with Dawson +1 basepads, and grams guts or with unknown 13 coil spring with a purple follower. Latter set up will accept a 29th round but it is really stuck in. These set ups measures a hair under 170MM. Would a different basepad give me the elusive reloadable 29th round? Which one should I try?

The grams followers and 13 coil grams spring set up sets the follower very low in the tube. Is this proper? If not, is there a spring adjustment to make?

Is an 11 coil spring best for 138MM tubes?

Thanks for any answers.

Edited by rgkeller

Dawson makes a +1 SNL (Sometimes Not Legal) basepad that is just slightly longer than a regular +1 pad. It will fit the gauge on some mags and on others it is too long. Might be worth a try to get the extra round.

This is what Bevin has to say about springs:

"The FKS-13 Follower kit has a 13 coil spring, and is made to go into any mag longer then 140mm. A “140” tube measures 136mm by itself. If you use my 4mm base pad on that tube, it will be a true 140mm tube, and I recommend using my 11 coil spring for that. If you use a longer base pad, it will be over 140mm, thus needing the 13coil spring."

Dawson makes a +1 SNL (Sometimes Not Legal) basepad that is just slightly longer than a regular +1 pad. It will fit the gauge on some mags and on others it is too long. Might be worth a try to get the extra round.

This is what Bevin has to say about springs:

"The FKS-13 Follower kit has a 13 coil spring, and is made to go into any mag longer then 140mm. A “140” tube measures 136mm by itself. If you use my 4mm base pad on that tube, it will be a true 140mm tube, and I recommend using my 11 coil spring for that. If you use a longer base pad, it will be over 140mm, thus needing the 13coil spring."

Thanks.

Is the SNL basepad OK for 9MM tubes? The Dawson website only mentions 40Cal.

The Dawson +1 Plus can be used in any application where you would use a standard +1, assuming the max mag length limits are cared for. There's actually no difference in the +1 Plus and the +1 with the exception that the center, bottom most recess in the +1 Plus is cut a bit deeper than in the standard +1.