Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Portable XM Radio

Hi there,

I am getting ready for a drive to Area 2 and was thinking that getting an XM raido would be a good move. We have 3 vehicles so it would have to work with the FM radio. (only 2 cars have cassette). MP3 capability would be cool also.

TIA,

Chuck

Hi there,

I am getting ready for a drive to Area 2 and was thinking that getting an XM raido would be a good move. We have 3 vehicles so it would have to work with the FM radio. (only 2 cars have cassette). MP3 capability would be cool also.

TIA,

Chuck

I have one of the simple XM setups for my work car that has only an AM/FM radio (it's a Godsend when doing surveillance for hours!) and it works just fine in other vehilces as well. You can just put the antena on the dash and it usually works perfectly. We don't have many radio stations here, so it's really great and only takes a minute to switch between cars. I think I paid something like $80 for it....cheap, easy and works great. You may want to look at Sirrus as well since they offer some different specialty programming....like XM lost the NASCAR contract and it's now on Sirrus.

Hmm .. are they actually merged? Did I miss the FCC approval? I also think XM has a lot more money and clients.

Thats aside, you could just buy more car kits (mount and antenas) and leave one kit in each car.

• 2 weeks later...

I've had XM since 2003. You can look at the MyFi they are about 150 bucks or so and will hold up to 5 hours worth of programing that you can record off of xm. it also includes earphones and a house and car kit. The new ones are the pioneer inno with holds either 50 or 100 hours of programming and works as a mp3 player. it also can be used with headphones also and includes them as well as a house kit a car kit is about 70 dollars for them.

Hope this helps,

Kevin

i have been using a skifi2 for about 4 years now.

you can remove the hardware and go from car to car with no problem.

if you want a cleaner look, just buy an car kit or piece out the parts you need(cradle, antenna, power source)

check out the link for some options. they have really good prices.

http://www.myradiostore.com/

Edited by ronhonda