Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Columbus Cup 2008

The Columbus Cup is in Medellin Colombia next year!

Get out your calendars and circle February 29, March 1 and 2.

For those of you who have yet to attend a Columbus Cup it has

become the major Level III in Central America. El Salvador,

Costa Rica, Guatemala, Nicaragua and Panama have hosted

outstanding matches and this year it is Colombia’s turn.

You will not be disappointed!

www.copacolumbus.com

Elkin Coulson is the match director and your host. We are in capable

hands. The members of the local club are excited and the support

from Colombia’s excellent NROI, along with IROA CROs will ensure

a smooth match.

Please check the website. Look into flights and make plans!

Dates: February 29, March 1 and 2, 2008

Stages: 15

Rounds: 315

Entry: $150

VISA: None

Health concerns: None

Elevation: +/- 4,500 feet or 1,480 meters

Weather: Glorious. Highs 69/21 Lows 54/12

Safety: Same as any large cosmopolitan city anywhere.

At one time Medellin had quite a reputation. The troubles were 15 years ago.

What many do not know was the citizenry rose up, protested and said no more.

As tourists in any city, exercise a little caution and enjoy the energy

of the streets, markets, cafes, clubs and people.

Any questions please direct them to: ipscantioquia@hotmail.com

Or, if you have questions and I can be of help - along with the contribution of

forum members – ask away…

See you there!

Joel

*Further details to follow.

Shot the Columbus Cup this year in El Salvador, great match, great people. I hope I can make it in 2008.

Bob,

So do we.

Not that there isn't anything competitive in "National Match Production" but each

region feels obliged to out-do the last.

I understand the "Texas Posse" is coming!

Hope to see you there,

J.

I am very sad that I won't get to make it to this year's match!

I look forward to the Columbus Cup every year and from what I have heard about Columbia and my experiences with their Shooters and RO's, it should be a wonderful event.

Best wishes to the match staff and to the attendees!

All the best,

Julie

how difficult is it to get guns and ammo in down there, I didn't see details on the website

The process is simple. You provide make, model, caliber and serial number of your gun(s). You also

list amount and caliber of ammunition. A permit is issued. (It is not a carry permit.)

Colombia is strict. When you arrive at customs they will stamp your passport and enter the serial

number(s) of your gun(s). They like to see those that arrive leave...

There is no fee and it is painless.

Joel

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm trying to work out some logistics and make it. I haven't been to Colombia since the 70s. I am told it is a different place now. The Columbus Cup is becoming the best match in the Americas next to the USPSA Nationals. With the World Shoot next year it will be a great match to start preparations. There should be lots of top shooters competing.

• 1 month later...
I'm trying to work out some logistics and make it. I haven't been to Colombia since the 70s. I am told it is a different place now. The Columbus Cup is becoming the best match in the Americas next to the USPSA Nationals. With the World Shoot next year it will be a great match to start preparations. There should be lots of top shooters competing.

T -

Always nice to read kind and accurate words!

Sorry this info is so late. I was away most of December and last two weeks of November

were jammed.

Anyway, the match hotel in Medellin (Colombia) is 5 star and $50 (USD) per person.

Fly from Miami for $413.

http://st.travelation.com/Pages/SelQuote.a...archId=21624860

Avianca is a sponsor and will be discounting their fare. As soon as I have the discount

code I'll send it.

We will be at +/- 4500 ' and temperatures 54f to 69f.

Match dates are Feb. 29 - Mar. 2.

Evening entertainment can be special.

Hope you are still considering this...and would you please forward this to your friends

and fellow shooters? I have a few magazines to lend, and there will be others for those

who would like to shoot standard. *This is an IPSC match and you're right, a great warm

up for the World Shoot.

More info as I have it and any questions -- please ask.

Joel

• 3 weeks later...

Looking for that discount code, as I think I can get to Miami fairly cheap but booking all the way looking on line has not proven to find any reasonable rates, is it to late to still get in and get the needed permit?

jeff

• 1 month later...
Results show Shred winning a couple of stages and finishing Second Overall.

The US contingent was a lot smaller this year.

http://www.copacolumbus.com/English/index.html

Yeah, I had a lovely Mike-NoShoot combo on one of the big stages that stuck me with "High Gringo" ;) and 2nd OA in the match.

Let me tell you, Colombia and Medellin are way nicer than rumor has it. The first thing we noticed driving in from the airport was ... "Where's all the trash and graffiti??" (I suspect the penalty for littering is a month on trash detail). 4 years ago they say it was pretty sketchy, but everybody we talked to said it's a whole different place now. Medellin is in a mountain bowl at about 5000 feet altitude, and close to the equator so it's perpetually about 68 degrees with everything from palm trees to pine trees side by side. I'd go back in a heartbeat. The match likewise was great, with Stage 9 being the signature stage-- set deep in a little forested ravine with a stream running through it, you ran down a path with targets spread in the trees, up to a shelter hut with more targets around and out the windows. Pictures won't do it justice.

Next year is in Honduras-- San Pedro Sula (Scuba divers will recognize this as the jumping off point for Roatan and the other bay islands)

Shred (Roy) took a bunch of pics and uploaded them:

http://www.shred2.net/~shred/gallery/album13

I have a few worthwhile shots and know there are many nice stills and short vids.

Perhaps we can provide those of you unsure of adventuring off shore with a little

encouragement!

The shooting rocks, hospitality sincere while nearly overwhelming and the friends

you make are not superficial. I could go on...

*But, Roy; please forgive the cavalier manner I used appropriating your pictures.

**Perhaps we could have Elkin set up page for us to FTP images, vids, etc...?

This would allow the perspectives of those from Arg., Arb., Ecu., Col., CRC., Ecu.,

Esa., Gua., Hon., Ano., Per., Tri, USA., and Ven. to shine through.

One of our goals is to make this a regional match where all regions own a stake.

Communication will always be the key to understanding and continued success.

There was one foolish rumor that we were unable to extinguish with the truth, which

left a few of the CC regulars at home. Unfortunate, but proves the point that if one

has a question -- ask someone in the know!