Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Browning Hi-Power in 40 s&w for Lim 10?

GlockSpeed31

Would the Browning Hi-Power in 40 S&W be an ok pistol for Lim 10? Anyone using one out there? How would it fair in competition?

Reason I ask is I just aquired one, almost brand new w/ 8 mags and I am thinking about selling it as a Lim 10 pistol.

What say the Enos population?

Thanks,

they say they re engineered the BHP to handle 40

I think this was cited as the reason when they started using cast frames in the BHP the casting allowed either denser metal or better tolerances for supporting the pressure of the 40 SW (or something like this?)

Im sure you could do it. If you were "Mr Browning Hi Power" I could see wanting to do it (this would be retro or old school as well)

I think if you wanted to win matches you would pay less and be better served with a G22 and some dawsons and a non captive recoil guide rod and spring (and a nice trigger),

Adding a trigger job, a welded on mag well, and removing the magazine disconnect/safety, an extended thumb safety and MAYBE a beavertail (oh and sights) would getcha in there You could have Novak do this for like 1800 ish I would guess

I have a P35 that is trick and it sits in my safe with a bunch of other guns I love and never shoot

I shot a Hi-power .40 for about a year back around 96 or 97 as a Limited gun. I'm sure it would do much better as a Lim-10 gun - but the drawbacks were, IMHO:

Kind "whippy" in major power .40 - sharp recoil

trigger reset kinda long, unless you slap the trigger - pinning the trigger makes for a long reset

a Hi-power will wear out faster than a 1911 design, beefed up for .40 or not - but we are talking 10 or 20 thousand rounds more than likely

Cool guns, but maybe not the BEST mousetrap for L-10. But it would be fun to shoot if you dig Brownings.

A long time ago the BHP was great, 14 rounds was the max available. The frames were not built for the high volume of rounds that is usual in our sport. The .40 BHP is supposed to be beefier than the 9mm version. The short barrel length is noticable especially in the .40.

A trigger job is required. There are only a few smiths that can do a really good job on a BHP, so ask around. Cylinder and Slide make parts that will help; triggers, sears, hammers (this is a key part), safety. You can bevel the mag well but good luck getting an aftermarket mag well.

As previously stated the trigger reset is quite long this can be a real drawback.

The mags may need some work so they will drop free.

You will never get the money invested in modifications out of it. This comes from experience. I started shooting Tuesday Night Steel with a 9mm. C&S did all the mofications: BarSto barrel, Novaks sights, C&S Trigger, sear, hammer, safety etc. It was fun spending my money with no hope of ever getting my investment back out of it.

Other than the trigger the biggest drawback to using the Hi-Power in L-1o is the magwell. The squared magwell leaves no room for error and there isn't enough material to really bevel the opening. If you are off by just a hair your reload is going to be all screwed up.

As a casual, relaxing, fun time at the range, I'd be more than happy thrashing my .40 BHP in Lim-10 in a match. If I wanted to seriously threaten the top dawgs, it would be far down my list.

However, as a Lim-10 and carry gun, you'd be hard-pressed to beat the .40 BHP.

The new cast frames seriously upgraded the durability of the BHP. I put 23,000+ rounds through a 9mm and it hardly shows the wear. An old forged-frame gun would have had parts falling off by then.

The new cast frames seriously upgraded the durability of the BHP. I put 23,000+ rounds through a 9mm and it hardly shows the wear. An old forged-frame gun would have had parts falling off by then.

Dang, Pat, I thought they burned people at the stake for saying things like that. :)

I shot a Hi-power .40 for about a year back around 96 or 97 as a Limited gun. I'm sure it would do much better as a Lim-10 gun - but the drawbacks were, IMHO:

Kind "whippy" in major power .40 - sharp recoil

trigger reset kinda long, unless you slap the trigger - pinning the trigger makes for a long reset

a Hi-power will wear out faster than a 1911 design, beefed up for .40 or not - but we are talking 10 or 20 thousand rounds more than likely

Cool guns, but maybe not the BEST mousetrap for L-10. But it would be fun to shoot if you dig Brownings.

Being a Hi Power fan from way back (the 70s) I couldn't wait to get ahold of a .40 HP. I was let down some as it is NOT a good competition gun for the reasons listed above. It's a good carry gun but the HP is really a better 9mm than a .40. I'll never sell mine as I waited two decades for one after someone made one before the .40S&W actually came out.

I shot 9mm HPs for 5 years but couldn't get an honest 30,000 rounds out of one before they grenaded beyond repair...

I've never had a cast frame gun...

Edited by Mick