Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Loss of a legend

Kimberkid

Randy Couture has resigned all his positions with the Ultimate Fighting Championships and Zuffa LLC. This includes his deals with commentating, promoting, and as current Heavywieght Champion. The worlds priemere MMA promotion has lost its greatest star.

Randy Couture has resigned all his positions with the Ultimate Fighting Championships and Zuffa LLC. This includes his deals with commentating, promoting, and as current Heavywieght Champion. The worlds priemere MMA promotion has lost its greatest star.

Details?

Sherdog.com has a number of articles.

Long and short of it, IMO......

Dana tried to get Fedor on the cheap and failed. Randy said that was the only fight that made sense to him, any other fight wouldnt have proven anything. Randy was also pissed after Dana/Lorenzo told him that he is the 2nd highest paid fighter in the UFC which isnt close to true, and he knew it.

I really dont think it was about money, but rather respect. Randy was the biggest draw in the UFC and was getting punked in the money department, and then lied to about it. Dana has been promising Fedor for a long time, and then offers him a joke of a contract.

I earlier posted here about how I would be reluctant to promise a fight with a fighter I hadnt yet signed. Thats what Dana did, and it just blew up in his face.

I still can't believe why Zuffa/White or anyone else would disrespect Randy. He is such a class act and a true ambassador of the sport.

White said in recent interviews that Randy is "just one of the many faces of the UFC".

But I can't think of anyone else who is as articulate, respectful and charismatic who is in the UFC right now.

PS Kimberkid, don't worry about "losing" a legend. Randy will fight again, probably just not in the UFC again. I predict Fedor/Randy in another organization as the (MMA-)retirement fight of both fighters.

M-1 has also just signed Ricardo Arona. They already have Kharitanov and the Aleksander Emelianenko. Looks like they're trying to get some talent. If they sign Barnett then Couture will have 2 reasons to start fighting in M-1, Fedor and to avenge his loss against Barnett.

Edited by spook

He might fight in another organization, but not if it dont happen soon. I think if it dont happen in a year or so, he is gonna call it quits for good. He dont need the money and his cardio is starting to take a turn. Just bothers me becuz I doubt M1 or whoever he fights for will have the same rules, setup, or production value.

Tho I would love to see Randy and Arona meet at 205, though its probably unlikely.

Too bad I can't read Russian. Looks like they have some fun stories (pic of Dana White at the bottom)M-1 Mix Fight

I agree that Randy should fight soon. He's not getting any younger.

I doubt if the rules and production value of M-1 will be detrimental to the organization. Last rumours say that Mark Cuban (owner of the Dallas Mavericks) owns it. Plus you there will most likely be soccer kicks, stomps and knees of the ground allowed. Sounds pretty cool to me (kind of like UFC + PrideFC combined)

What do you think?

i do hope to see Fedor and Randy mix it up one day that would surely answer who is the top heavyweight in MMA..

Damn, Randy is the man. I have been waiting for that fight ever since UFC purchased Pride. Maybe one day it will happen. I just hope Randy is not 50 by then. ;)

i just hope Fedor does not get the "Cage Curse" when he fights in one, seems to me a lot have Fallen to this. Dan,Mirko,Heath etc from Pride FC...Rampage seems to be the only one proving to be immune to this "Cage" thing

Edited by ogiebb

i just hope Fedor does not get the "Cage Curse" when he fights in one, seems to me a lot have Fallen to this. Dan,Mirko,Heath etc from Pride FC...Rampage seems to be the only one proving to be immune to this "Cage" thing

You think it's the cage and not the different rules?

Drug test perhaps?

Drug test perhaps?

Yes, that too. I stated that in my other thread (in the "What I Like" Forum).

I still can't believe how small and soft Shogun looked against Forrest.

Drug test perhaps?

A lot of people said the samething about Shogun. He just wasn't himself or himself on Roids..

Drug test perhaps?

Hit the button twice

Edited by mjbine

Rampage hasnt gotten the "Cage Curse" because he isnt a true Pride Fighter. He had a buncha fights in cages long before he started fighting in Pride.

If M1 is gonna have knees and elbows on the ground, along with head kicks, that would be awesome.

I really hope the production value is up there though, good fights can get ruined by crappy presentation. I have probably 15 King of the Cage DVDs and they have some great fights, but the commentating and overall appearance sucks.

Rampage hasnt gotten the "Cage Curse" because he isnt a true Pride Fighter. He had a buncha fights in cages long before he started fighting in Pride.

If M1 is gonna have knees and elbows on the ground, along with head kicks, that would be awesome.

I really hope the production value is up there though, good fights can get ruined by crappy presentation. I have probably 15 King of the Cage DVDs and they have some great fights, but the commentating and overall appearance sucks.

They should have a cage, Bas Rutten, Stephan Quadros and Joe Rogan for commentary, UFC + PrideFC rules and Big John McCarthy as a ref and that crazy screaming woman from PrideFC to introduce the fighters. It would be MMA heaven :cheers:

Spook,

right now i dont know what it is , even with the Rule changes and everything they just dont perform the same when they were in Pride FC...the way Forest handled Shogun , Dan when he fought Rampage, Mirko against Gonzaga and Kongo has still left me in shock..spoke to Matt and Nick Serra today and they said when your in the Cage its just different, it feels like everything is so small and cant go anywhere... i dont know what that means <_<

Edited by ogiebb

They should have a cage, Bas Rutten, Stephan Quadros and Joe Rogan for commentary, UFC + PrideFC rules and Big John McCarthy as a ref and that crazy screaming woman from PrideFC to introduce the fighters. It would be MMA heaven :cheers:

+1 :cheers:

They make the Dillion girls look like a group of poorly groomed swamp donkeys.

^*@ man! That there damn near killed me :lol:

[...] spoke to Matt and Nick Serra today and they said when your in the Cage its just different, it feels like everything is so small and cant go anywhere... i dont know what that means <_<

Pretty cool that you can talk to the guys who are really into the business.

Fedor's little (as far as you can call that big freak little) brother used to train @ my gym in Amsterdam for a while. We also had Peter Aerts, Alistair Overeem and the place I train at now has Melvin Manhoef as their star MMA fighter.

Really weird to see those guys in person.

Edited by spook

[...] spoke to Matt and Nick Serra today and they said when your in the Cage its just different, it feels like everything is so small and cant go anywhere... i dont know what that means <_<

Fedor's little (as far as you can call that big freak little) brother used to train @ my gym in Amsterdam for a while. We also had Peter Aerts, Alistair Overeem and the place I train at now has Melvin Manhoef as their star MMA fighter.

Serra's gym is just a few block away from my work in Long Island

yep kinda weird seeing Pete Sell, Matt and a few more Fighters in real life :lol:

its awesome that you got to see Aleks in action im also a big fan of him , Fedor and him are quite the opposite

Edited by ogiebb

Serra's gym is just a few block away from my work in Long Island

yep kinda weird seeing Pete Sell, Matt and a few more Fighters in real life :lol:

its awesome that you got to see Aleks in action im also a big fan of him , Fedor and him are quite the opposite

That is soooooo sweet. I am a big Serra fan. He is the sh!t. Have you ever thought about training with them. I don't know sh!t about fighting but it would be very cool to learn.