Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Star Progressive presses?

creekwalker

Howdy folks, I posted this on GTR but recieved limited response as none of us had the information we were looking for so I'll try here.

OK, I’ve read about and heard about the Star progressive loading machines every since I started using reloading presses and such in the mid 1970’s, but I’ve only seen them in pictures. The little that I know about them is that for the most part they were handgun cartridge only loading machines and that the Star and Dillon powder measures have some similarities. I’ve also read that to a point, the Dillon loaders evolved from tinkering around with the Star’s.

I guess my question is has anyone here had first hand experience with the Star loaders and if so how good were they. Do they still stack up against the newer equipment available to us now or not? Also, I know that the Star bullet swaggers are still being made by Magma and that the machine shop equipment and such for manufacturing the Star loader’s was purchased some time back. Did someone have intentions to bring the presses back into production or was that only rumors.

So, can anyone fill me in or if you own or owned on of these presses can you post some pictures and information? Even better would be if someone owns or had owned a Star that now owns a Dillon or other progressive and can provide a direct comparisson.

creekwalker

The Star was a great machine but it was only fully progressive with after market attachments made by MA Systems. The Star is a fully machined product that will last for generations with only spring changes. I have loaded over 200,000 rnds on the one I have and never had a failure af any kind and never had a primer issue. However that being said they are not available and the Dillon 1050 is it's sucessor.

I learned how to load on a star reloader. They are the highest quality reloaders ever built IMO. But they are no longer available new. There is a website/forum deticated to them, I can't remember the site name. I use a 650 and will probably never buy/use a star again due to certain things like the case feed systems aren't all that great, no auto index, and special thread dies. Star case plates and die holders are milled steel rather than cast, etc. Search for that forum and there is more info than you know what to do with.

Jason

I have had two Star loaders....both in .45ACP...great machine...fully machined and really a wonderful machine.

If you had a problem with the primer feed, you almost had to disassemble the entire machine...finally gave it to a bud and sold the other...bought an old Dillon 1000..still have it, also have had a 350, 450B, 550B and SDB Dillon machines...have the SDB and the 550B still along with the 1000....

The ease of operation and changability of the Dillons is what caused me to change that and the no BS warranty of Dillon...the Star was very old and parts were hard to find and expensive if you wanted to change calibers...

No question the Dillon is a better machine.

Get a 1050 and you will not be sorry...Just MHO...

Thanks for all the information so far. I already have a Dillon 550B as well as an RCBS PiggyBack 1 that's been upgraded to PB 2 with a newer case activated powder measure activator linkage, so I'm pretty well covered for now on loading needs. I've viewed the Star site already mentioned...http://www.starreloaders.com/forum/index.php , and yes it has nice information. But what I'm intrested in is hand's on experence and comparison insite from others.

Do I want a Star press or will I buy one, not likely, but I am intrested in them and how they worked. So for those of you that choose to do so, enlighten me.

cw

Thanks for all the information so far. I already have a Dillon 550B as well as an RCBS PiggyBack 1 that's been upgraded to PB 2 with a newer case activated powder measure activator linkage, so I'm pretty well covered for now on loading needs. I've viewed the Star site already mentioned...http://www.starreloaders.com/forum/index.php , and yes it has nice information. But what I'm intrested in is hand's on experence and comparison insite from others.

Do I want a Star press or will I buy one, not likely, but I am intrested in them and how they worked. So for those of you that choose to do so, enlighten me.

cw

Like your avatar.....McQueen is the coolest, Bullitt, Great Escape and Magnificent 7

Edited by tightloop

The Dillon 1000/1050 are, for practical purposes, automated Stars, with some added stations. Dillon's first reloading product was called the "Super Star" conversion, used to lengthen the stroke of a Star to allow loading rifle cartridges.

Guy

OK, I'd read a little about the Dillon modification for the Super Star add on and also knew that Star had developed a rifle loader in 223. I'd never read or heard about the Dillon 1000 or 1050 being a more upgraded improved version of the Star though. I haven't had any experience with either of them as my first hand usage/knowledge of Dillon presses has been with the SDB and 550B and I'm really new to the 550B.

I guess what I'm beginning to realize at this point was that an entire after market industry existed specifically for the purpose of upgrading or accessorizing the Star progressive presses. That's really not much different than now then as we have quite a few aftermarket companies producing bullet feeders and such for current manufactured progressive presses.

So, if a company chose to manufacture Star progressives again and modernized them with what we have become used to operating our equipment with could they be marketable or has that time passed? Very curious, I learn something new but still wonder what was different about the Star progressives, but also wonder what has been carried over from them to current progressive presses.

Very nice

Thanks all

cw

Edited by creekwalker

The Stars were great machines in their day. When I was shootiong bullseye pistol in the late 1950's , I used a friends Stars in 38 Special and 45 ACP. If they made them now I would purchase one for each caliber I loaded. However, they are no longer available and one has to contend with using the currently available products. I use the Dillon 550 which is acceptable but certainly not in the same league as the old Stars.

There is obviously a market for progressive loaders, since they are offered from a variety of manufacturers. Whether or not a new progressive loader could make it in the market is like any other new product - what features it offers for the price. The Dillon 1050 is, as stated earlier, an updated Star, and is firmly established in the market.

Guy

So, can anyone fill me in or if you own or owned on of these presses can you post some pictures and information? Even better would be if someone owns or had owned a Star that now owns a Dillon or other progressive and can provide a direct comparisson.

creekwalker

try http://www.starreloaders.com/ for information and discussion