Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

AA conversion problem

kevin c

Love my LE conversion. Since I got it a few months ago it's been eating up 2500 rounds a month of the 40 gr Rem Golden Bullet bulk pack ammo. Just recently I've been noticing a problem, though:

More and more often, on all of the five mags I have, I will get a failure to go completely into battery on the second to last round in the mag, causing a light strike and failure to fire. Dropping the mag without moving the slide after firing the previous round usually shows the last round riding very far forward. This never happens before or after the 2nd to last round, and doesn't seem related to limp wristing.

Detail strip, clean, and parts inspection of the upper and all the mags didn't change thing. I'll be out there this weekend with different ammo (MiniMags) to see if that makes a difference, but thought I'd throw this up here and with AA in case this is a known problem with a known solution.

TIA,

Kevin

• 2 weeks later...

New info:

First, no reply to my email to AA, so I'll try calling and talking to a warm body.

Next, the problem happens with other ammo too, so that's out.

Stopping w/o pulling the trigger on the second to last round and inspecting the gun/mag shows the following:

The slide is not just out of battery, it often WILL NOT go into battery - there is resistance on trying to close the slide.On dropping the mag and getting a close look at that forward riding last round, when there is resistance in the slide, the top of that last round is scraped up, with gouges in the bullet where the end of the slide stripper rail hit it.

So it seems the problem is that last round riding forward, maybe being dragged there by the rim of the round above it as it gets chambered. I can guess at possible causes (and am open to others):

Brass slicked magazine follower (I never lube polymer mags, and hadn't cleaned these after about approx 2000 rounds through each mag).

Weak mag spring.

Weak recoil spring.

I'll have to ask AA what they think, and what their remedy might be (do they even sell replacement parts?).

KC

• 2 weeks later...

Reading this, what popped into my mind are some of the old reports (on this forum) about some of the CZ's. The issue there was the mags not wanting to drop free, as the next bullet in the mag was being stripped forward a bit. The cause there seemed to be that the leading edge of the breach face had a sharp corner, which was dragging the up-coming round forward. (On a 1911, this would be the area where the disconnector rail and the breach face come together and form a 90d angle.)

The fix there was to lightly stone the edge to round it a bit and deburr it. But, on the AA kit, I thought they already had broken that angle. (I'll have to go look at mine).

Along those same lines would be a weakened mag spring...not providing enough up force to keep that round in place.

Why the next to last round... ? Maybe because it is being pushed up by only the follower, not by other rounds under it in the mag.

Perhaps a combination of all of those things...or none.

Keep us posted.

Love my LE conversion. Since I got it a few months ago it's been eating up 2500 rounds a month of the 40 gr Rem Golden Bullet bulk pack ammo. Just recently I've been noticing a problem, though:

More and more often, on all of the five mags I have, I will get a failure to go completely into battery on the second to last round in the mag, causing a light strike and failure to fire. Dropping the mag without moving the slide after firing the previous round usually shows the last round riding very far forward. This never happens before or after the 2nd to last round, and doesn't seem related to limp wristing.

Detail strip, clean, and parts inspection of the upper and all the mags didn't change thing. I'll be out there this weekend with different ammo (MiniMags) to see if that makes a difference, but thought I'd throw this up here and with AA in case this is a known problem with a known solution.

TIA,

Kevin

I have AA conversions, one atop my glock we and another on my glock 34. My 23 seemed ok, but my glock 34 has had pretty much the same problem you describe, jamming up, especially on the 2nd to last round since I got it. I think it might be mag related because last time I put my longer mags though my glock 23 it started jamming up on the second to the last round also. My glock 34 with the .22 conversion is now jamming up very frequently and it's not just the 2nd to the last round anymore. Often the round below the chambered one has a nice gouge taken out of the top of it from what looks like the slide moving over it. Also it seems the jammed round is jammed going into the chamber because the cartrige is angled upwards too much. I'm taking both to the range tonight with all my mags to see if I can sort out better what's going on between the two conversions and magazines. I'm definitely interested in what AA tells you.

Problem solved.

I gave the followers a thorough cleaning with a copper solvent, which got rid of the brass marks on top. Then I buffed the same area with a rough steel wool pad, going across the follwer from side to side.

Each mag now runs flawlessly. Inspection of the last round in the mag, after firing the gun to chamber the second to last, shows it riding forward just a little now.

So it seems the brass rubs off into the rough finish of the follower as the last round strips, making it slick. Cleaning with regular solvents isn't enough to get it out. I'll need to clean periodically with copper solvent to avoid buildup (about every couple thousand rounds through a full mag, by my estimate, which would be 200 feeds of the last round). An alternative I'm considering is filing a slight groove into the follower right where the rim of the last round will sit when not riding forward.

Kevin

Edited by kevin c

Sorry, BadChad, I didn't see your post when putting up my latest.

I never called AA, being too busy and having fixed the problem myself.

In my case, it was only misfeeds on the the 2nd to last round, with the last round riding forward. If you have the same problem, my solution may work for you.

If it's happening with other rounds before the 2nd to last, the suggestions of the other posters may be pertinent.

Good luck, and let us know.

Kevin C

Edited by kevin c

This is where I ordered mine, but I did have to wait for it a couple months. I'd ordered it around last year this time and managed to hit the front end of AA's freeze on shipments to vendors because they had a huge backlog. TG also had the best supply/price on magazines.

http://topglock.com/

ETA: best advice I got on conversions - get plenty of mags

kc

Edited by kevin c