Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon SquareD ans old 450

JimmyZip

Here's My first foray into this forum so go easy guys! Several years ago I purchased an old Square Deal in 9mm and a 450 in .45 from a friend of my fathers. After 15 years sitting around in a box in my garage I have decided to take it out and begin reloading. I plan on reloading 9mm on the Square Deal. It is a circa'85 machine. I plan on converting the 450 to a 550 and reloading .243 WSSM. I will be sending them both to Dillon to have them gone through. Is there anything that I need to be wary of as to their age and or designs.

Dont know much about the 450 but the SDB will be as good as gold when you get it back from Dillon. IF the 450 is able to morph into the 550 I would think it would be as good as a new one also.

IMO - You are certainly on the right track going with the Dillons. :cheers:

Edit to add....Welcome to the Forums! :D

Edited by Merlin Orr

Here's My first foray into this forum so go easy guys! Several years ago I purchased an old Square Deal in 9mm and a 450 in .45 from a friend of my fathers. After 15 years sitting around in a box in my garage I have decided to take it out and begin reloading. I plan on reloading 9mm on the Square Deal. It is a circa'85 machine. I plan on converting the 450 to a 550 and reloading .243 WSSM. I will be sending them both to Dillon to have them gone through. Is there anything that I need to be wary of as to their age and or designs.

If you're only going to load .243 on the 450 don't convert it. Just get the automatic powder drop conversion for it and you're good to go. If you want to change calibers a lot then it would be practical, otherwise it's not.

Been there done that.

Gary

If you are going to do the 450 to 550 conversion all at once youw ould be better off selling it and buying a 550.

If you want to do it a little over time you would be better off.

I have done that, all I have left now is the frame.

The SD is really better for short cases anyway. The down side is you have to use their dies.

I can't speak on the 450 (don't have one) but I recently pulled my SDB out of the mothballs after about 10 years. All I really needed to do to it was give it a good cleaning, install the new 9mm dies, shellplate (which proved to be the most difficult part) and primer system and I was ready to go.

I'd rethink converting the 450 to a 550. It would cost less to sell the 450 and buy a new 550. For loading 243 WSSM rifle ammo, I'd use the 450 press as designed.

+1. I did this, and it cost about 80% of the price of a 550. The only original 450 part left is the ram.

Thanks for all the good info. I'm really glad I found this place. I'm sending the Square Deal today. Also, does anyone know about wether a 9mm is scored differently in the Open class? I've been thinking about converting a BHP into an open class gun with a comp and open sights. Right now I shoot production and am beginning to show improvement with practice. I could pick up another BHP from a buddy and I live about 30 miles from the guys over at Bar-Sto. Thought I'd really like an open gun in 9mm, but am wondering on the scoring.

Thanks for all the good info. I'm really glad I found this place. I'm sending the Square Deal today. Also, does anyone know about wether a 9mm is scored differently in the Open class? I've been thinking about converting a BHP into an open class gun with a comp and open sights. Right now I shoot production and am beginning to show improvement with practice. I could pick up another BHP from a buddy and I live about 30 miles from the guys over at Bar-Sto. Thought I'd really like an open gun in 9mm, but am wondering on the scoring.

Jimmy - Scoring depends on whether you shoot standard 9x19 ammo or you load it way hot to make Major power factor. If you shoot standard 9x19 ammo, hits outside the A zone count less.

About 20 years ago, some folks tried to make the BHP into an Open gun at Major power factor. The experiment was short-lived, mainly because the guns were short-lived - they couldn't take the pounding. The great thing about the BHP is its sveltness, and that characteristic is what worked against it as an Open gun. 1911s are much beefier. 9x19 Major ammo runs pressures up in the .454 Casull area - way outside the envelop the BHP was designed for.

Also, Open guns commonly use optical sights of some kind, so you'd be at a disadvantage using open sights. They also have magazine capacities in the upper 20s.

Having said all that, if you want to do it just because you've always wanted to do it, there are few reasons better than that. :D