Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Grams or Dawson Mag Basepads

bayouman

I am all about the Dawson's. When I first started shooting Open I tried the Grams. Don't get me wrong, they are great but I kept breaking them and having to send them back. When I shoot every week I can't stand waiting two weeks to get my replacement pads back.

As for the Dawson's, I just had a chance to try out their new SNL +1 pads on my big stick. Let me just say I am ordering some of those bad boys soon!! With Gram's spring and follower in an STI tube (with the new SNL +1 pad) I was able to get 28 in the magazine and it was loadable and fit the EGW mag guage. This means 29 rounds in my gun without stressing the grip of my STI and running the risk of cracking it. Who knows, with the right follower and spring you might be able to get 29 in the magazine!! I think I am in love.

Joe W.

I have some of Brazos tuned STI mags with Grams basepad. Very easily reloadable to 20 rds in the mag. They are great but I worry about cracking. I have and use Dawson also as a primary mag because of this very thing. I think we all know that Aluminum will not crack under the pressures we are using. But the plastic Grams pads will. I can only get 19 rounds in my Dawson pads but they are not SNL either. The only other thing I have found with my Brazos/Grams mags are that its easier for me to reload a Grams pad than a Dawson. For me it's because the Dawson sticks out in the front a little more than the Grams does. But that is strictly a personal preference.

I've always found it a bit easier to reload with the Grams pads, but thought it was just in my head...now I guess maybe it's not so crazy :)

I wondered if anyone would post as to whether or not which was easier to reload with. I used to have grip tape on my mags but now just run them as is and haven't noticed any difference. Anyone else notice reload differences with different baspads?

It's all what you get used to- I was more comfortable with the Dawson when I first got the Grams pads, then I became comfortable with them through practice. So, if you take the time to get familiar with your gear, I don't think one is any better than the other as far as the actual reloads are concerned. There is now substitute for practice...

Which one is easier to load to? Well I guess it all boils down to how the magazine is tuned. As long as there is some give to the top round you should be able to load into that mag but as I said, it is all about the tuning.

Bayouman, I will gladly carry those two extra rounds if I can get them into the magazine and have it run 100% lol Sometimes that extra round or two buffer is a good thing if it keeps you from having to do a mag change on the clock.

Joe W.