Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Pistol grip or Straight stock

BushBaby

OK, I'll play the game !

So looking at the M2 stock, it looks almost taylor made to reduce it by an inch as it has that second ridge line that the push on stock pad could probably lock onto about an inch back from the end on the inside. Cut the stock back so the next ridge back will act as the original ridge for the pad ???

Benny / Kurt - is it that easy ?? :unsure:

Piccy to show how cool a M1 can look with a PG stock and some Uber cool Nordic additions - thanks Tim !! Top guy !

Lets remember..... IMAGE is everything !!!

post-2653-1192995166.jpg

Edited by mike.45

If you want to buttstroke someone you have to shift your grip, to the top of the stock, with the pistolgrip, but don't with the straight stock.

Straight stock..WINNER!!!!

Bennie, by buttstroke I do not mean getting your butt stroked with an implement (an implement is a tool) so calm down and take a cold shower.....

Guy Hawkins

Edited by gl

• 2 weeks later...

I will throw a opinion out there as well. I think Kelly said 2 of 3 2007 Multigun Champions used straight stocks, I am the one that did not. I only used the PG stock becuase I have a right wrist problem that makes it easier for me to hold the gun while loading it. I dont like the way the gun shoots with the PG, and I dont like the way it comes to the shoulder!!! I will probably use a straight stock next year, I have already purchased it. Recoil with the straight stock is much better, and while I am a huge 160lbs almost none of it is muscle! I will also add that the angle of the pistol grip stock is not flat/straight on its top. What I mean is if your face is further rorward, or further backward you will get a different sight picture in regards to how flat you see the top rib of the barrel. The non-PG stock is flat and wherever my face ends up I see the same amount of bead/barrel. The problem I am faced with is do I want to unload the gun fast, or load it fast? All of my shotgun times were about 1-2 seconds off the pace this year, and I can load OK, not great but OK. I am constantly waiting for the gun to settle down, or for my face to get set correctly, which is not hard. What is hard is having the paitence to wait and not just shoot to stay with the pace of other shooters. Like I said, I will probably have a straight stock next year!!!

I like the PG stocks. I'm a big proponent of consistency in my techniques across the different shooting platforms. A PG shotgun allows me to run my shotgun with the same techniques as my rifle.

Regarding the handling difference between PG's and straight stocks, I'll only say this, if you try to shoot a PG shotgun, like a straight stock shotgun, you will have problems. Adding a PG changes several handling characteristics of the shotgun. If you try to use your old techniques, its not going to work as well. Think of it like this. Your a road racer and your car of choice is a Porsche. You've raced Porsche's all your life. One day you try driving a Corvette in a race. The Corvette will still go fast, but it will handle entirely different from what you are used to driving. If you try to drive the Corvette like you drive your Porsche, you will not do well. You need to relearn how to drive the Corvette to perform your best. They are two different cars. They both go fast, but you have to drive them differently.

The same can be said for PG and straight-stock shotguns.

Erik

This "debate" looks a lot like: "6 of one/half dozen of another." The difference seems to be preference.

An anology?

Pistol shooting with finger wrapped around the front of the trigger gaurd. Most in US don't use it. BUT, I thought Angus, Graufel & Kirsch use such a technique? Which one is "better" ??

A. Preference & practice.

Revolver reload: there are 2 techniques. Most use Jerry's (I do). But is the other technique "wrong" ?

A.: Again, I don't think its been conclusively proven either way. At this point in time, it's practice & preference.

Personally, after modifying my X2 like Mike's above (per his gunsmithing tips) I learned to reload from Phil using the weak hand & never taking the strong hand off the grip.

Edited by Carlos