Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Universal Clays and Titegroup

DaG

Did some chrono work today trying to come up with a minor 40 load for a CZ Standard IPSC. Did the search and come up with a couple of loads no problem. The Titegroup load was the Flexmoney signature series.....3.5 gr. Precision 185 @ 1.135 AV is 814 for a 150 PF.

The second load was Universal Clays....4.2 gr. Precision 185 @ 1.135 for a 152 PF.

I would like to get the PF down to 130-131. When I went to Handloads.com, and entered the data, It gave back to drop the TG load from 3.5 to 2.9 and the UC load from 4.2 to 3.4. What is everyone's thoughts on the what seems to me the much lower charge weights and the possible effects? TIA

DaG

When you start getting real low velocities with TiteGroup for mnor 40.. it starts getting really dirty, the cases don't see well in the chamber, and I get a lot of stuff back in my face. You just need to watch it.

For minor 40 in that range, TG will work, but I've switched to Clays (normal Clays), it's so much cleaner at low presures.

I'm using Berry's 180 plated for these..

As you get lower, cycling reliabilty may become a problem. I lowered the spring weight in my G22 to an 11#, and it cycles with Clays in the 2.8 and 3.0 grains at pf127-pf133. But I think you'll need to shoot enough to make sue this works for you.

TG at 3.4 gave me cycling problems (with a 13# spring back then I think), 3.6 worked fine.. but, like I said - too dirty.

Tight group is a very low volume powder, get down around 140 and your groups will open up, standard deviation will increase etc etc, I never tried it with 185 and heavier bullets so YMMV, On paper Clays should work in practice I didnt get the accuracy I wanted, Universal worked ok but dont shoot it in any low light matches, Best powder I found for 40 minor was WST, BUt basically I dont shoot minor any more my IDPA loads are about 150pf, and I use tightgroup for everything, also makes it simple on the gun as I dont have to retune for IDPA or IPSC, Guess If I was headed to IDPA Nationals I would retune and load some 128pf ammo.

Tight group is a very low volume powder, get down around 140 and your groups will open up, standard deviation will increase etc etc, I never tried it with 185 and heavier bullets so YMMV, On paper Clays should work in practice I didnt get the accuracy I wanted, Universal worked ok but dont shoot it in any low light matches, Best powder I found for 40 minor was WST, BUt basically I dont shoot minor any more my IDPA loads are about 150pf, and I use tightgroup for everything, also makes it simple on the gun as I dont have to retune for IDPA or IPSC, Guess If I was headed to IDPA Nationals I would retune and load some 128pf ammo.

I have a load with UC and 200gr precision bullets that is about 130-135. I load at 1.125 with 3.5gr of UC. That is with the precision 200gr moly bullet out of a glock 35. Very soft.

• 3 weeks later...
The Titegroup load was the Flexmoney signature series.....3.5 gr. Precision 185 @ 1.135 AV is 814 for a 150 PF.

Well, my load was out of a Glock, and it was 180g Zero bullets. I forget what it comes in at...probably 140+ pf.

You may not want to go too low of pf with heavy bullets, shooting minor. It may not have a good feel. It may not run the slide as well as you might like. Experiment.

(there isn't much need to chase the mousefart loads, IMO...the performance gain isn't worth it)

• 2 weeks later...

I load 3.2 of titegroup pushing 180 gr moly bullets for minor. It's around 127-129 pf. I shoot it through a Lone Wolf barrel in my G23. Stock recoil spring. Cycles perfectly, as accurate as anything I've ever shot. Recoils like a .22lr. It's my "powder puff" IDPA load. With the moly's the barrel doesn't look shot after the match.