Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

new to reloading

1911vm

Finally it is time to start reloading. I am completely new to this, and will need a lot of help (hint hint). I was wandering any suggestions on were to purchase supplies powder, bullets, primers ETC . I do not mind buying in large quantities. Thanks

Vladimir

You've definitely come to the right place. You can get a wealth of advice from the sage wisdom of the people on this forum. However, buy at least one good reloading manual (Lymans is my favorite) to get the basics.

The best place to buy equipment is right here. Check out Brian's store and then give him a call to discuss what is best for you. He now has a complete package to get you started and avoid wasting money on things you don't need.

Powder Valley has good prices on powder, primers, bullets, etc. Just beware that if you buy powder or primers over the Internet from any vendor, you'll have to pay around $20 for hazmat shipping charges. Therefore, it is best to buy in bulk if you don't have a local supplier.

Midway is good for items that Brian may not carry and if you need to buy new brass.

Other than that, peruse the reloading sub-forum and do some searches. Everything you ever needed to know about reloading and more is right here.

Just to get your feet wet it might be best to buy some components locally. Talk to local shooters to find their sources, especially for primers which can have Haz Mat costs add quite a bit to the cost.Once you figure out what you like, then buy in quantity if you want.

And for equipment, Brian is a great asset.

You've definitely come to the right place. You can get a wealth of advice from the sage wisdom of the people on this forum. However, buy at least one good reloading manual (Lymans is my favorite) to get the basics.

The best place to buy equipment is right here. Check out Brian's store and then give him a call to discuss what is best for you. He now has a complete package to get you started and avoid wasting money on things you don't need.

Powder Valley has good prices on powder, primers, bullets, etc. Just beware that if you buy powder or primers over the Internet from any vendor, you'll have to pay around $20 for hazmat shipping charges. Therefore, it is best to buy in bulk if you don't have a local supplier.

Midway is good for items that Brian may not carry and if you need to buy new brass.

Other than that, peruse the reloading sub-forum and do some searches. Everything you ever needed to know about reloading and more is right here.

I am actually starting with a bang I am picking up my 1050 this week. I should be all set for brass for now .

I looked at Barry’s for bullets I will look for the other stuff as you suggested. Thanks

I am actually starting with a bang I am picking up my 1050 this week. I should be all set for brass for now .

I looked at Barry’s for bullets I will look for the other stuff as you suggested. Thanks

What caliber are you going to be loading? There have been some major issues with various plated bullets, but it's strange in that it's caliber specific.

Honestly, if you want to make things easy on yourself, just get some Montana Gold, Zero, or Hornady Action Pistol bullets and you'll eliminate 98% of the bullet questions on your first loads. It's highly unlikely that you won't be able to come up with at least an acceptable/good load with a bullet from those three companies. It may not be the absolute best, but it should good enough. After that you can mess around with plated, moly coated etc to see if they work in your gun.

Since it's so common I'll throw this out too. If you'll be loading .40 S&W get some VV N-320 or Hodgen Titegroup powder, some decent 180gr jacketed bullets, Fed or Win primers and you won't disappointed with the results.

Welcome to the world of reloading. Help us out; what machine do you have or are you planning on getting? What caliber(s) are you going to load for? What sport, USPSA(minor or major), IDPA, bullseye? What guns are you loading for ie stock glocks and others don't like non-jacketed bullets. Sorry for asking so much, but the more you give us the more we can help. Check out the threads on caliber specific reloading.

:cheers:

Jason

Welcome to the world of reloading. Help us out; what machine do you have or are you planning on getting? What caliber(s) are you going to load for? What sport, USPSA(minor or major), IDPA, bullseye? What guns are you loading for ie stock glocks and others don't like non-jacketed bullets. Sorry for asking so much, but the more you give us the more we can help. Check out the threads on caliber specific reloading.

:cheers:

Jason

The press is a Dillon 1050

At the moment mostly .45

IDPA and 3 gun

A friend of mine was loading Berry’s 200g. SWC for me and I had 0 problems, to be honest I have not had any problems with any ammo

Vladimir

Edited by 1911vm