Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI Eagle, 5" in .38 super coverted?

bobobooie

I searched and read a lot, but did not find what I was looking for so thought I'd ask. I have a STI Eagle in .38 super. Can I have a new complete top end installed in .40? Would you reccomend selling the Eagle as a .38 super instead of converting it, and just buy a whole new gun in .40? I hope to end up with a .40, but if the conversion is not feasible I'd like to hear about it and maybe get steered in the right direction. Thanks much!

I would just have a new top built for it in 40 and then you have 2 guns with 1 frame. I had a gun a while back with a 38 super bushing top and a 40 bull top and it ran flawlessly in either calibre. I eventually sold the 40 top as I had other 40 guns and kept the sti as a 38 super that I shoot some local matches and the occasional Idpa.

Switch top guns aren't all they are cracked up to be. Either convert it and leave it converted or sell it and buy what you want.

The cost of a top end will get you a long way toward a full custom gun that is far and away more gun than a factory gun.

Someone mentioned Benny already and you can't argue that, he builds one hell of a nice gun at a reasonable price. Talk to a couple of the guys that come highly recommended here and see what kind of feedback you get, I would bet lunch the story will be pretty consistent between them.

If it were me I would sell the Super, and order what I wanted built by a GOOD gunsmith.

Switch top guns aren't all they are cracked up to be. Either convert it and leave it converted or sell it and buy what you want.

The cost of a top end will get you a long way toward a full custom gun that is far and away more gun than a factory gun.

Someone mentioned Benny already and you can't argue that, he builds one hell of a nice gun at a reasonable price. Talk to a couple of the guys that come highly recommended here and see what kind of feedback you get, I would bet lunch the story will be pretty consistent between them.

If it were me I would sell the Super, and order what I wanted built by a GOOD gunsmith.

That's the way I'm leaning. I appreciate the advice.

You could sell it pretty easy to someone wanting a cheap(er) way into an open gun. They would just need to have someone fit a Trubor and mount a C-More (again on the cheap).

If you want a 40 Eagle (i.e. standard dustcover) then definitely sell it outright and start fresh.

Rich