Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

IMR "Hi-Skor" 700-X for .40 Major?

dawulf

I have recently aquired 6 pounds of IMR "Hi-Skor" 700-X from a friend who quit reloading. I was wondering if anybody has used this powder for .40 major?

According to IMR a 180gr jacketed with COL of 1.125" with 4.6gr. will make 970fps out of a 4" barrel.

I will be using it in my Para, with Masterblaster 180's loaded to 1.195" out of a 5" barrel.

Any input will be appreciated.

Thanks

Tom

I have found HS-700X to meter very well. HS-800X - that's another story - the most unreliable metering of any powder I have ever used.

As an aside, HS-700X is a superbly accurate powder with lead bullets if you keep the velocity to below 800 fps. It is a bit smoky.

I have recently aquired 6 pounds of IMR "Hi-Skor" 700-X from a friend who quit reloading. I was wondering if anybody has used this powder for .40 major?

According to IMR a 180gr jacketed with COL of 1.125" with 4.6gr. will make 970fps out of a 4" barrel.

I will be using it in my Para, with Masterblaster 180's loaded to 1.195" out of a 5" barrel.

Thanks

Tom

I've tried 700X with my Glocks, functioned fine. Here are the loads I last chrono tested (YMMV, exercise caution and work up slowly)

• Glock 35 / 180 Masterblaster / 4.0 grains of 700X / 1.135 COAL / 170PF
  • Glock 22 / 180 Precision Delta FMJ / 4.5 grains of 700X / 1.135 COAL / 170 PF

These loadings are very short compared to the 1.195 COAL you are planning... so you will probably need to do some extensive load development and chrono testing.

In comparison to some other powders (Titegroup, 231, U-clays) at major PF, 700X:

• feels softer
  • is slightly more smokey
  • is definitely more dirty esp. with Masterblasters... 700X+moly=barrel crud that was really hard to remove
  • does not meter quite as well as ball powder, about the same as U-clays
  • exhibits larger velocity spread and SD
  • exhibits acceptable accuracy

IMO, 700X is one of two "sleeper" powders that is often overlooked for 40 S&W loading (the other one is PB). It works fine but has some minor drawbacks. It is not my first choice for 40 at major PF... but if I had six pounds lying around, I'd load it up and have fun shooting it. When it was all gone I'd go buy some more Titegroup and 231.

Thanks

Tom

I tried 700X in my STI. I used the 180gr Mas.Blas. with 4.5grs 700X and a Fed. small rifle primer. OAL was 1.20". They averaged 904fps out of my Eagle. The smoke was a bit thick. Hope this helps

EG

• 4 weeks later...