Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

slide stop woes

Shepard

I broke the factory slide stop on my p16 and having no idea whats involved in fitting a slide stop I dropped in another.  Well, near the bottom of every mag the slide would lock back. So I got a new plunger spring and only 3/4 of the time my mags would lock back with a few rounds in the bottom. Not to be dissuaded I brought out the trusty dremel and drilled a divot where the plunger was marking the slide stop. This reduced the premature slide locking to 1/4 of the time.  

If anyone has any advice on the problem I'd be eternally grateful.

I have no experience with the P-16 whatsoever; however, on most other hi-cap pistols, often, either the follower or the bullet bumps the slide stop up when the mag is nearly empty. On most guns the solution is to grind off a bit of material - the thickest part that is reaching in to catch the mag follower - on the slide stop. On my SV's, I simply grind the tab all the way off so it can never lock back. I don't know, however, if that drastic of a maneuver is necessary on the P-16.

be

Thanx for the help. I ground some from the area that contacts the follower/rounds. I just sorta let the "force" tell me when to stop grinding. It works perfectly and it locks back on an empty mag.