Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rules Clarification for my G22

uscbigdawg

So finally decided to review some of the rules to IDPA and have a question about where my G22 can go.

Basically, it looks like it can shoot either SSP or ESP. Here's what I've done to it and plan to do to it and I think I'm still okay in one division or another:

Currently:

- Dawson adjustable FO sights, front & rear

- Replaced stock recoil spring w/ 13# spring

- Grip tape

Proposed:

- Trigger job

- Barrel

- Captured plastic rod to a SS rod (this I think is legal in ESP and not SSP)

- Add a magwell (only allowed in ESP)

Here's my question. The added magwell is the big question mark here. Appendix 1, A, 3 for ESP states, "14. Beveled magazine well and add-on well extensions." are allowed in the inclusive list of allowable modifications. Now, I understand the spirit of the rules to not allow say a magwell like a Dawson or SJC, but hypothetically, would they be allowed if the pistol still fit in the box?

Rich

Rich, assuming the gun will fit in the box (and the lid closes) and it makes weight, then you are good to go. With some of the bigger magwells, you have to add slightly bigger basepads to the mags which can bite you when you try to put it into the box. Be aware that many boxes are slightly out of spec, either built that way or have gotten wet and warped to some degree. A club near me recently had a box built of something (delrin) that has zero tolerance. Personally I use a JP magwell on my 34 when I 3-gun and I've been very happy with it. Hope this helps, Gary B.

Proposed:

- Trigger job

Apparently the Vanek trigger and the modifications listed here on be.com are allowed in IDPA, even though they are banned in USPSA as "external mods" - and they are also banned in IPSC's production division. So go ahead with that Vanek, Sotelo, DIY job - its all good in IDPA. :cheers:

Hello: The magwell is legal if it fits in the box. That is why I milled down my STI magwell on my 2011 to fit the box. I would shoot SSP with your Glock first. Get a slug plug which works just as well as a magwell for me on the Glocks. The trigger is the key for me on the Glocks. Use JoeD's trigger job and you will have a wonderfull Glock trigger. I did all this to my G22 that was a police force trade in and it worked great using minor loads and Dawson sights. It is very accurate for IDPA. Hope this helps. Thanks, Eric

Get a slug plug which works just as well as a magwell for me on the Glocks.

Eric

If you are refering to Seattle Slug plug, it is listed as one of the excluded modifications in SSP. Can't use them or any other weighted devices.

Edited by Gregg K

Be aware that many boxes are slightly out of spec, either built that way or have gotten wet and warped to some degree.

This IS the case (warped/out of spec) for many of the "Official Boxes". With the inclusion of Single Stack in USPSA as an "official" division in 08 (as the rules for the division include the same box dimensions) there may be a fresh batch of "sized" boxes available.