Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Open Glocks..

Turbo23

My friend just tried some loads, trying to make Major with the LWD 9mm Comp. His 124gr loads chronoed at 1270fps, near Major. He's going to add .5gr more powder and try it again. Even with this comp, the recoil was ok. No muzzle flip. He noted that the whole gun tended to rise (not flip). I think he's going to add a super heavy black ice to his gun to keep it from bouncing.

LWD is making us a couple "experimental" comps; their .40 cal design (3 top holes and 3 side slits on each side) threaded for their 9mm barrel. This should be optimal for 9mm Major.

I was kind of leary about the barrel quality, but it seems to work ok. I'll keep you guys informed as the situation develops!

I'm trying out the new Lone Wolf comp for Minor 9mm. The comp is mated to a LWD barrel. Does anyone know if the latest batch of LWD barrels will run Major 9mm?

I got one of the prototypes... it is neat but NOT for major lol I called and talked to the guy & he said that they tailored it for factory 9mm ammo. I asked him about doing a major one to which he said their solution will be the popple holes in the slide...but that doesn't work for me & my c-more! I am thinking of making light load for GSSF & use the LWD comp. For major I will stick to my SJC & KKM barrel set-up.

• 1 month later...

After quite a bit of experimentation with the modified LWD .40 comp, I've decided that you still can't run it Major. It's not bad at ~155PF, but gets too jumpy up to 170PF. I believe that the ports on top aren't big enough to give it enough compensating power. I'm having a new comp using a .38 Super design.

I'm using 125gr Zero JSPs with 8.1gr HS6, 1.16 OAL, mixed brass. It chronos at 1380fps through the LWD 5" barrel.

My friend just tried some loads, trying to make Major with the LWD 9mm Comp. His 124gr loads chronoed at 1270fps, near Major. He's going to add .5gr more powder and try it again. Even with this comp, the recoil was ok. No muzzle flip. He noted that the whole gun tended to rise (not flip). I think he's going to add a super heavy black ice to his gun to keep it from bouncing.

LWD is making us a couple "experimental" comps; their .40 cal design (3 top holes and 3 side slits on each side) threaded for their 9mm barrel. This should be optimal for 9mm Major.

I was kind of leary about the barrel quality, but it seems to work ok. I'll keep you guys informed as the situation develops!

I'm trying out the new Lone Wolf comp for Minor 9mm. The comp is mated to a LWD barrel. Does anyone know if the latest batch of LWD barrels will run Major 9mm?

I got one of the prototypes... it is neat but NOT for major lol I called and talked to the guy & he said that they tailored it for factory 9mm ammo. I asked him about doing a major one to which he said their solution will be the popple holes in the slide...but that doesn't work for me & my c-more! I am thinking of making light load for GSSF & use the LWD comp. For major I will stick to my SJC & KKM barrel set-up.

• 3 months later...

I have a G17 with KKM barrel and comp with melted in J-Point. Kind of a poor man's open gun. I'm not serious about shooting open, though, so all I've put through it is WWB 115s. Shoots very well. I did have some trouble with light primer hits and traced it to the 13 lb. ISMI spring with 3 coils cut off. It didn't have enough poop to reliably lock up the tight fitting KKM barrel, so I was getting out of battery strikes. Switched to an uncut 15 lb. spring and it seems to have solved the problem. Maybe after a couple thousand rounds the barrel lock up will smooth out enough to go back to the lighter spring.