Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

impacting high right

ErikW

This has officially become a problem in my match shooting. High right on the second shot to an IPSC target. Limited or Open. I don't often see it in practice.

Yeah I know, I should have the sight in the A zone, but let's not be so simplistic. Let's assume it's a grip problem that's keeping the gun from tracking perfectly neutral. It seems to have kicked in about the time I started making the effort to keep my thumbs off the gun, especially my weak hand thumb against the frame. (Strong thumb rides safety, but I've been lately trying to rest it there instead of grip it there.)

I am calling them, most of them. More so with the Open gun, of course.

Please help soon. I don't want the shame of shooting a D at the Infinity Open.

Erik,

I have a feeling that you don't want to hear this from me...but, I see in your post(s) a lot of the same traps that I tend to fall into.

You say that you see the problem in matches, not practice.  That is tension.  No doubt about it (in my mind).  I see it in my shooting often.  (The problem is internal, not something external that can be "fixed".)

What has worked for me is to turn it down about 5% come match day.  On match day, I focus on the hits...leaving speed out of my thought process.  The speed will take care of itself.

Brian calls this "visual patience".

Ahhh, I like it.  I use a very similar phrase when I shoot well I tell my friends that I was seeing very well, or I had great vision.  You get funny looks from people who have never experinced this.