Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

smoothrunning of 550B

Can Anyone help me with the following problem:

My 550B started running really heavy last week and using silicon based oil on the stem has only reduced the problem fractionally. The problem is somewhere in the last part of the downstroke of the stem when the spent primer chute contacts the frame to open and release the spent primer.

I have oiled and disassembled the axes where the link arm and crank meet, readjusted the operating rod for the primer feeder which was too tight / too low on the primer housing. Readjusting the oprod was necessary beceauce since then the spent primers are deposited in the holder and not on the floor.

I've checked it against my brothers 550B which runs very smoothly and where the stem sinks to the lowest position when released the last part of the down stroke. He has the newer press with the nylon bolts on the crank, whereas I have spring clips.

Where can I look to solve the problem?

regards,

Dick

Loose the primer magazine mountng screws, press the handle forward like you are seating a primer, hold it there and tighten them. If that doesn't get it pull the primer slide out and clean the cup, cup spring, and primer punch.

EDIT: you need to use motor oil on the press, silicone based oil isn't good enough. FP10 or something like that will work too but plain old motor oil is what it needs. If you haven't kept it lubed or used a poor lube you could have some galling of the aluminum frame on the ram.

Edited by HSMITH

try this:

Remove the set screw from the bottom of the shaft. Push out the crank pin that connects the back of the crank to the bottom of the shaft. Now push up on the bottom of the shaft by hand, see if it runs smoothly. Next, pivot the crank on the bottom link arm pins, see if it moves smoothly. Finally, lift up on the crank, pivoting the link arms on the upper pivot pins. This way you can tell if the linkage is dry and galling, and where. :ph34r:

try this:

Remove the set screw from the bottom of the shaft. Push out the crank pin that connects the back of the crank to the bottom of the shaft. Now push up on the bottom of the shaft by hand, see if it runs smoothly. Next, pivot the crank on the bottom link arm pins, see if it moves smoothly. Finally, lift up on the crank, pivoting the link arms on the upper pivot pins. This way you can tell if the linkage is dry and galling, and where. :ph34r:

I took the Dillon apart as suggested and there is nothing wrong with the linkage / crank but the shaft has such a tight fit on the press that I think I've found the problem.

Since it was disassembled anyway I did some tests and with the aforementioned gun oil it ran very smoothly, industrial grade axel / bearing grease was too thick and for now I've settled on my favorite M1 grease (the brown kind) which gets smoother after a few cycles because the friction heats it up.

I'll try some FP10, break free or motor oil next.

How smooth should it run anyway? how much breaking in is needed? My brothers 550B is of recent manufacture as it has the nylock nuts (as per manual) to hold the crank together and I have the spring clips and his 550 runs like a dream.

Dick

if yours is of the old style with out the grease and oil holes I would strip the unit apart and grease and lube all pins, they are most likely galled. When this happens it usually results in the frame breaking very shortly after.

if yours is of the old style with out the grease and oil holes I would strip the unit apart and grease and lube all pins, they are most likely galled. When this happens it usually results in the frame breaking very shortly after.

I lubed the linkage, crank, shaft, primer feeder and turret / shellholder. Did I miss anything?

Did

I have a very old 550 and the shaft galled. Dillon replaced all the old parts with the 550B parts. They wanted me to send it in and they would rplace all necessary parts under warranty. Did not have ammo loaded up so I couldn't be without it, so they sent parts.

Their customer service is top notch, but if you don't call them they can't help.

I ran into a similar problem about 2 weeks ago around 10K rounds on my new 550. I found that I had the anval of a primer had worked its way down the primer arm thingy and caused it to hang up. With Speer cases the primers are launched at mach 2 out of the case so they go flying everywhere.

I'll give another go at calling Dillon. If they cant help over the phone they will help someway some how. I never really liked paying so much for reloading gear, but I also never realized that I am not paying so much for the equipment, its more for the CS that goes along with it :cheers:

g10