Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Single best way to improve the IRC

GET IT OUT OF CALIFORNIA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :angry:

You know Sam, there's really nothing bad about shooting a match in California. You budget for it, fly in, grab your rental car, and drive to the range, what's the big deal? I drove up the coast from LAX this year, and it's a wonderful and very interesting drive. Morro Bay is a neat little town, too, with nice people and plenty of good places to eat and drink.

Seriously, whatever problem you have with shooting the IRC or the Steel Challenge on the west coast--you're only making yourself miss out on a really fun experience.

GET IT OUT OF CALIFORNIA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :angry:

You know Sam, there's really nothing bad about shooting a match in California. You budget for it, fly in, grab your rental car, and drive to the range, what's the big deal? I drove up the coast from LAX this year, and it's a wonderful and very interesting drive. Morro Bay is a neat little town, too, with nice people and plenty of good places to eat and drink.

Seriously, whatever problem you have with shooting the IRC or the Steel Challenge on the west coast--you're only making yourself miss out on a really fun experience.

+1......I am working in Tennessee at present, and I don't see why you wouldn't love the change....and get away from all of the duelling banjo's :cheers:

Hey ICORE,

Want to truly improve an otherwise great match? Eliminate Near and Far Standards in favor of a non-specific long-range standards stage that varies from year to year. Right now there is too much advantage going to the shooters who have the time and resources to set up a duplicate of that stage at their home range and groove themselves in by shooting it over and over and over and over.....

Keep in mind I'm not saying we should get rid of the long-range shooting at the IRC. Just vary it up from year to year, and don't publish the exact distances, target placement, and par-times ahead of time. Make people show up, see the stage for the first time at the match, and shoot the sumbitch cold!

Might be wrong, but I'll bet the vast majority of IRC shooters would agree with me on this.....

The Standards have been part or the IRC since I started shooting in 2000.

I think the Standards should be part of the IRC until someone zeros it.

I have had the Standards make and break my matches.

As far as practicing for the Standards, you can practice the 25, 10, and 3 yard parts at any range.

The main change I would like to see is dropping the over-time penalty from 10 sec. to 5 like the rest of penalties in the match. This will help all the shooters!

John

You might get some more shooters to participate if you did

More? We had almost 200 this year.. How many more does it need? I can tell you that if the IRC moved out of California, I'd likely not attend since it would be another match I'd have to take off more time for than I could manage. This year was kind of an exception to the rule for me. Canadian Nats, US Nats, IRC, SW Regional, and the Golden Bullet. The two latter matches happened locally and I helped put them on. The Golden Bullet sold out which was a first in all the years it's been run.

Having shot the IRC for the last four or five years, it has become my favorite event. I love the Morro Bay/SLO location, the range the Hogues built is fantastic,

the location is visitor-friendly! Don't move it! As for the near and far standards, I don't enjoy shooting them, but do feel they are a good exercise and should be retained at least until Vic zeroes the stage. I wouldn't mind seeing the standards incorporated into the course time slots, so that your squad shoots them on the schedule. While sunlight can be uneven there, depending on fog, etc, this would smooth out the flow of the match.

I think the IRC has matured into one of the finest matches around. The officials have proven their knowledge year after year and Nelson has done a great deal to improve the match. California has some wonderful match directors that can step in if one gets sick or gets interupted for a year.

N&F is a very tough course to shoot. Some years I've done quite well when I've practiced, and other years I've trashed it. I've asked shooters what they think about getting rid of it and the majority actually like having it. Take out the time restrictions and I'll bet Vic zeros it the next year. It's not the 50 yarder that I saw him miss on last time it was the 5 yarder.

I agree with Dillon that it would be nice to schedule Standards as a regular stage. Then everyone has to be subjected to the variances in weather conditions instead of waiting for the wind and light they like but everyone still has to shoot their own score and that's the important thing.

One change I'd really like is for me to get well enough to shoot again and to win my class.

I have been the MD for the IRC 3 times and will be the MD again in 2008. Every so often someone brings up this point at the ICORE Membership Meeting which is held at the IRC. It is voted on, and every time the decision has been keep "Near & Far Standards" in the match. I even brought up the vote one year myself. Actually I have learned to love the stage even if it does kick my you know what every year. I usually double my practice score in the actual event. All I can say is come to the Membership Meeting and express your opinion. The Membership Meeting is the only way to abolish the dreaded "Near & Far Standards."

The IRC has floated around from state to state. The best attendance has been in CA. That is one reason it has stayed in CA for the past several years. Although, there is interest from other states like Pennsylvania and Louisiana. Who knows what will happen in the future. All I know for sure is 2008 will be my last as MD. I have enjoyed being MD, but it is time for someone else to step up. I WANT TO ENJOY SHOOTING BEFORE I AM TO OLD TO DO SO!

The IRC is one of the best matches out there even if Taran Butler thinks shooting 3 gun is "funner" than shooting a revolver. Taran, I have to agree, 3 gun is a lot of fun.

Edited by Nelson

Keep the standards, but drop the penalty time down...

Have two IRC's, one on the west coast where it is now, and then one over by "Silver Bullet" Walsh, I'l like to see that side of country, and having a match there would let me do it...maybe even have the same course of fire, having smaller match attendance would make it easier to run. With Nelson living back that way, he could run it till he's in a wheelchair.

michaels