Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Supercomp Powder Tests

Steve Anderson

I have now tried:

3n37

n350

3n38

In my Caspian supercomp hybrid. All over 125 Zero hp at 1.250. I have removed the 115 loads from consideration due to excessive lateral dot movement. (for me, in my gun. :))

The two Imr powders are very similar in feel, and both feel good. 4756 takes almost a full case of powder to make major, 7625 takes about a 4th less.

I used 3n37 for awhile (4 lbs worth) and it is fine, except I get secondary ignitions. ( very annoying indoors, less perceptible outdoors) This is why I went looking...

I just tried 350 vs 3n38 this week, and 3n38 is the clear winner in my gun. The dot rises less and stays in the scope. With 350, the dot leaves the scope.

I was using 7625 (on Travis T's insistence, after he graciously corresponded with me on all things Caspian)

when I shot my best classifier scores ever. (3 out of 4 master class scores) So that one is charmed...

All that remains is to do an A/B of 3n38 and 7625 to decide which one to buy in bulk.

I have load data if anyone wants it...

SA

My favorite load is 7625 with montana 115 jhp's, very smooth and clean. I also like 3n37 , during practice i notice the fireball once in a while but when i am shooting a match i never do. N350 seems too snappy. I'm curous how 3n38 works out for you, kinda expensive eh?

James Ong

• 1 month later...

Steve,

How did your experimenting go. Did you decide between the two poweders ie. 3n38 or 7625?

BTW what type of a comp are you running. I am looking for a powder to use, that is if gun dealers can ship them to me at this part of the world (south africa) :( . I have read just about every thread under this forum but still cannot make up my mind. ;) . From the opinions I get here I am thinking of either going between the two that youare using, care to throw any comments my way? I am using a caspian pistol with a 5 port comp and 3 port hybrid and a lightened slide.

Thanx

Steve: here is another thought: N105. Sound radical? not as much as some might think. 3N38 is decribed as having a burn rate b/t N-350 and N-105. Put another way, 3n38 is right next to N105 on the burn rate chart. You seemed to have decent results w/ 3n38 over 350; why not try one small step further? Although I have been having ejector-related problems w/ my gun recently (not related to powder) I have used loads of N105 under 115 Montanas that were between 10 and 11 grains. Of course, it is a compressed load even at 1.255 to 1.260 but there are zero pressure problems in 9 supercomp. I mean zero - like it looks as if there was no compound in the primer and the round never went off. Bullet set-back? Not really possible since there is no place to go. Overcharge? again, not really possible - this stuff is pretty safe in a 2011. I run a 4 port comp .350/350/350/300 without hybrid holes.

I confess part of my decision revolves around $.

That's a lot of expensive powder in each case.

Imr 7625 is cheaper and takes less powder. I can use 7.7 locally and get 166 easy, and bump it to 8 for major match chrono insurance.

SA

I like the N105 powder also, but it is more expensive. It is tack driving accurate and produces the right amount of gas to use the comp well. specially with 115's.

There are no pressure signs whatever. In fact it solved a friends problems of burst cases in a mec-tec carbine. N350 and 3N37 loads were bursting cases in the unsupported chamber. N105 did not at the same velocity.

The other advantage is that it doesn't have the same intermittent muzzle flash that N350 and 3N37 sometimes have. I've heard it surmised that this is due to the fact that the 350 and 3N37 don't fill up the case so sometimes the powder is in different parts of the case when the primer goes off. Don't know if it is true, but have seen this flash effect a lot with these 2 powders - specially in colder weather.

I think you can only get N105 in 1lb bottles, but you can get a case from Chuck Bradley at Shooters Connection. I only use it for match loads. I save money on the practice loads and use much cheaper powder.