Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

XL-650 Casefeeder and .223

amlevin

I recently received my XL-650 and am now starting to catch up on my reloading. When I started loading .223, I started having about one case in 10-15 fall into the tube upside down. When I watched the cases arrive in the casefeeder disc those that arrived neck first were falling upside down. It appeared that the metal piece on the left (as you look at it from where you operate the press) was not catching the neck long enough to let the base travel over the funnel and then fall base down.

I took a screwdriver and moved the metal clip so it caught the neck of the case earlier. Only needed about 1/8-3/16" to solve the problem. The next 400-500 rounds fell base down without fail.

I don't know if anyone else has had this problem but I thought I would share.

• 2 weeks later...

I had a casefeeder for a hornady lnl-ap (back to dillon 550 now). The "window" that the case falls through was to be set for half the length of the rifle case being fed and fully open for pistol cases. I can't see why the dillon feeder should be set any different, but am willing to be educated.

The center of gravity for a rifle case is much closer to the case head due to the solid primer pocket area. A rifle case will start falling when the center of gravity is no longer supported. Having the window half closed means the case neck will be past the window when it starts to fall so it should be base first every time.

Edited by 1911user

I never had a problem with this when loading .223 but when i started loading 7.62x39 I had the exact same problem. Took me about 10 min or so to figure I could slide that clip out to catch the neck earlier and solve my problem.

Neal in AZ

For 7.62 x 39mm, use the large pistol case feed plate and TWO spacer washers. Feeds much faster and more reliably. :cheers:

I had actually thought of that since the large pistol plate with one spacer kinda works. I am not loading large quantities very often so I just stick with the rifle plate.

Neal in AZ