Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Production mods for a para lda

Adam B

What mods are legal to do to a para lda in production? I know a new barrel and sight change out is cool, but what about changing the safety, main spring housing, grips, slide stop?

Adam,

I own a Para LDA 9mm which I bought for production.

I put a Schuemann barrel in it and because I am left handed, I wanted to put an ambi safety on it.

I contacted John Amidon for a ruling on the legality of this.

The answer was that it is okay because this type of safety was a factory option on some of the LDA models.

In other words, if the factory offers a part on some version of a production model LDA it is legal.

The basic criteria is: "If I add this part will it still be a production gun that could be bought from the factory in this configuration".

If I had a question about any given part, I would ask for a ruling.

Otherwise you may find yourself shooting Open.

Tony

Note: One of the reasons I haven't shot this gun in a production match is a problem with the mags.

The mag base is plastic and held in place with a small tab that hooks over the back of the tube.

This tab is not very robust and does not seem to hold the base very securely.

When practicing mag changes I often dislodge the base and push it forward, almost to the point of coming off.

I'm afraid I will dump all my ammo on the ground in the middle of a stage.

3rd party bases are not allowed.

Next time I bump into Todd Jarrett I think I will ask him how he gets around this problem.

Until then, the gun is on the shelf.

Edited by 38superman

The gags are the same. I ran a LDA in Production years ago and in IDPA and carried it CCW, NEVER had a problem with the mags. Unless you are using some really funky relaod technique i don't see how the hell you could even knock the basepad off.

I use the same technique to reload the P18.9 that I use for all my guns.

When I have practiced with it, both in live fire, and reloading practice I have a tendency to break the base pad loose.

When doing a speed reload I may be slamming it into the gun a little too hard, but no more than with my limited gun.

My palm may be pushing forward a bit when the mag seats, I don't know.

I do know I'm not making this stuff up.

It happed several times and with different mags.

I have never had it happen on any other gun with any other factory magazine.

I bought this thing because I wanted a 1911/2011 style production gun.

The idea being that it would make it easier to transition back and forth between divisions.

When I find a solution I'll start shooting it.

In the mean time I have plenty of other guns to shoot.

Tls

Edited by 38superman

The gags are the same. I ran a LDA in Production years ago and in IDPA and carried it CCW, NEVER had a problem with the mags. Unless you are using some really funky relaod technique i don't see how the hell you could even knock the basepad off.

I use the same technique to reload the P18.9 that I use for all my guns.

When I have practiced with it, both in live fire, and reloading practice I have a tendency to break the base pad loose.

When doing a speed reload I may be slamming it into the gun a little too hard, but no more than with my limited gun.

My palm may be pushing forward a bit when the mag seats, I don't know.

I do know I'm not making this stuff up.

It happed several times and with different mags.

I have never had it happen on any other gun with any other factory magazine.

I bought this thing because I wanted a 1911/2011 style production gun.

The idea being that it would make it easier to transition back and forth between divisions.

When I find a solution I'll start shooting it.

In the mean time I have plenty of other guns to shoot.

Tls

Yup!!!!!

Keep on doing just that, and you and others doing a similar mag change drill will keep me in business. :closedeyes:

Perhaps you should incorporate a slight change into your mag change routine. Something like grasping the mag while it is still in the pouch a little bit higher in your palm away from a straight line with your wrist. Then you can insert the mag even a little bit faster by pushing with a slight thrust of your upper palm into the well. Much more controllable, faster insert speed, but without the straight line push and weight of your entire arm. You can do more than dislodge the base pad. Like wearing in the mag catch lower lobe, bending in the mag feed lips as they smack the underside of your slide , and my favorite: breaking off some of the extended ejectors. Yeah, yeah, I know!! You've been doing it that way for eons without any "noticeable" breakages ... So why change??? As they say, sometimes bad habits are hard to break, kind of like: "why should anybody stop smoking"????

You could try the base pads from a J model. It has a mag well so the base pads are more stout and attach differently. I don't know if they interchange with the 9mm model but the .40 LDA and P-16 (SX16-40) series are all interchangable.

What mods are legal to do to a para lda in production? I know a new barrel and sight change out is cool, but what about changing the safety, main spring housing, grips, slide stop?

Adam,

I own a Para LDA 9mm which I bought for production.

I put a Schuemann barrel in it and because I am left handed, I wanted to put an ambi safety on it.

I contacted John Amidon for a ruling on the legality of this.

The answer was that it is okay because this type of safety was a factory option on some of the LDA models.

In other words, if the factory offers a part on some version of a production model LDA it is legal.

The basic criteria is: "If I add this part will it still be a production gun that could be bought from the factory in this configuration".

If I had a question about any given part, I would ask for a ruling.

Otherwise you may find yourself shooting Open.

Tony

Note: One of the reasons I haven't shot this gun in a production match is a problem with the mags.

The mag base is plastic and held in place with a small tab that hooks over the back of the tube.

This tab is not very robust and does not seem to hold the base very securely.

When practicing mag changes I often dislodge the base and push it forward, almost to the point of coming off.

I'm afraid I will dump all my ammo on the ground in the middle of a stage.

3rd party bases are not allowed.

Next time I bump into Todd Jarrett I think I will ask him how he gets around this problem.

Until then, the gun is on the shelf.

Are you shooting 10 round mags or standard capacity mags? The standard capacity mags have a little different set up which I have had zero problems with for over 25000 rounds.

Yup!!!!!

Keep on doing just that, and you and others doing a similar mag change drill will keep me in business. :closedeyes:

Perhaps you should incorporate a slight change into your mag change routine. Something like grasping the mag while it is still in the pouch a little bit higher in your palm away from a straight line with your wrist. Then you can insert the mag even a little bit faster by pushing with a slight thrust of your upper palm into the well. Much more controllable, faster insert speed, but without the straight line push and weight of your entire arm. You can do more than dislodge the base pad. Like wearing in the mag catch lower lobe, bending in the mag feed lips as they smack the underside of your slide , and my favorite: breaking off some of the extended ejectors. Yeah, yeah, I know!! You've been doing it that way for eons without any "noticeable" breakages ... So why change??? As they say, sometimes bad habits are hard to break, kind of like: "why should anybody stop smoking"????

Thanks for the tip.

I will seriously consider your comments but I am not convinced that my technique is the sum total of the problem.

When I first started shooting limited, I occasionally had a mag fail to seat properly and fall out of the gun.

I don't slam it in there like I'm trying to punch out Mike Tyson.

However, I've learned to make sure I bump it hard enough to engage the mag release.

If I am causing wear and tear, so be it.

It's never caused a problem, but if a part breaks I will replace it.

I'd rather do that than have my loaded mags bouncing off my toes when I'm trying to shoot.

With the Para I'm using full capacity factory mags down loaded with 10 rounds for production.

My technique might be part of the problem, but I still feel the Para base pad is too weak.

If anyone doubts it, take one of the mags and using your thumb, push forward on the pad without releasing the tab.

I think you will be amazed how easily it pops loose.

I will look into the standard capacity and J model mags as suggested.

Tony

Edited by 38superman

Yup!!!!!

Thanks for the tip.

I will seriously consider your comments but I am not convinced that my technique is the sum total of the problem.

When I first started shooting limited, I occasionally had a mag fail to seat properly and fall out of the gun.

I don't slam it in there like I'm trying to punch out Mike Tyson.

However, I've learned to make sure I bump it hard enough to engage the mag release.

If I am causing wear and tear, so be it.

It's never caused a problem, but if a part breaks I will replace it.

I'd rather do that than have my loaded mags bouncing off my toes when I'm trying to shoot.

With the Para I'm using full capacity factory mags down loaded with 10 rounds for production.

My technique might be part of the problem, but I still feel the Para base pad is too weak.

If anyone doubts it, take one of the mags and using your thumb, push forward on the pad without releasing the tab.

I think you will be amazed how easily it pops loose.

I will look into the standard capacity and J model mags as suggested.

Tony

Yes. Para's can be finicky sometimes. For a very long time I shot a Para 16/40 in Limited. I still have it and it is my "Limited" gun of choice. On a daily basis I carry another Para, a 14/40-10mm LDA stainless. (Yes in 10 mm) I have gotten used to the Para's little quircks, likes and dislikes. Never had a problem with a base cap. On the other hand, Arredondo makes a great base cap for them too.

The LDA is a sweet system. I was skeptical of the LDA when my son told me about them. I shot his and went on to own three of them. My bowling pin gun is a Custom Para (single action) and has had thousands upon thousands of rounds through it. I have never had a magazine problem and they haven't been cleaned very much. Maybe your springs are weak, I don't know. Look for an answer, try different things. Get new base pads from Para.

Good Luck, Buddy

Venri,

I would love to try the Arredondo base pads.

I haven't done so because I was afraid a third party base pad would make the gun illegal for production.

I can't see why it should be a problem.

It is a flat plastic base pad similar in weight and size and shape to the original.

The only difference would be that it may be more secure.

The rule book is not clear about this.

It only says: "No weighted attachments to magazine".

Tony

Edited by 38superman