Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cheap .308 Bullets? 110 gr Hornady or other?

Religious Shooter

Looking for cheap .308 heads for the closer shots. For 3 gun use. Will be shot from a full-sized M1A.

The cheapest I could find were the 110's from Hornady. About $8.40 per 100. Can I push these to 2910 fps to make USPSA major? Or will they self-destruct at these velocities?

Are there any other cheap .308 heads out there?

Thanks.

We usually just call them what they are.....BULLETS, and I would check with Wideners reloading supllies. The usually have a good deal on bulk 147 grain Israely bullets. Load those down a bit to around 2300 fps. and it is just an outstanding close load!

Hornady's reloading manual shows loads for 2700 to 3200 fps for the 110gr bullets. 3000 should be perfect, for a PF of 330.

I bought a s**tload of their 150gr bulk bullets, which may not have been the best idea... It's easy to make PF with them, but they're the most accurate around 2500 fps, which gives a PF of 375...

Wideners is now out of the 150s, and only 2k left of the 110s. Other places have them too though, for just a little bit more (try Lock, Stock & Barrel).

if you want to try something different, Hi-tech ammo has some 108 gr frangible 308 bullets that are the same length as the 147 fmj's. Last I checked they still had some and they seem to fire all right. I have not tested accuracy yet but loaded up some with 45 gr of IMR 4895. They all went "bang" and I could hit my targets at 50 yards with no issues. Fired out of a model 700 varmint model.

• 4 weeks later...
Aren't 110's too light for an M1A? I thought the lightest recommended bullet for that rifle was ~147gr. Best 'junkers' I've found are Jeff Bartlett's--GI Brass

Probably. :lol:

I bought a 100 of the 110's to try out. They are REAAAALLL short. I loaded some to 2.5" COAL (~2.8" is SAAMI). They look stupid.

But the M1A is so bad ass it gulped 'em up and asked for more. I didn't check them for accuracy. Was just smacking plates @ 100 yards to check for functioning.

I'm going to wait until Hornady/Winchester makes some of their 147-150's. Hopefully I won't regret my choice.

Edited by Religious Shooter

• 2 months later...

You know.. I loaded some 125 Speer TNT-HP's and shot them in a buddy's M1A and they fired fine. I was using 45 gr of IMR 4895 and a Fed 210 primer. I loaded them to max length for the magazine andhad no issues with failing to extract or load. This is also my standard load for my model 700V. For some reason it tends to like the lighter bullets over anything heavier than 150 ish.. or maybe that's just me :D