Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Requesting Tips and Feedback Please

CDRODA396

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vx2-nbOtOfQ

Looking for some input from the distinguished members of the forum. I’m currently a B Class (67%) Limited shooter, and have been shooting matches for a year and a couple months. I currently dry fire 3-4 times a week, using Steve Anderson’s first book, I have the second, but still feel there is much to master from the first, so haven’t really gotten into the second.

13 Paper, 3 Steel Stage

This is the first time I have been videoed, and before you’all rip into it by invitation, here are some observations I have garnered after reviewing it.

1) I think I could work on moving my feet faster from position to position. I’ve never been a “quick” individual, and I feel like I’m moving faster when I’m shooting, but in the vid it looks much slower than it feels, almost "casual," I think there is definitely time to made getting from point to point.

2) I “feel” like I’m making mag changes in a single step. I guess with everything that’s going on, I’m not really noticing that the mag change was really three steps = more practice during dry fire on mag changes while moving.

3) I’ve only recently gotten to the point where I feel my grip is “managing recoil” well, and it appears the gun is remaining fairly flat in recoil so I am happy about that.

4) Based on an assessment of the Points v. Time, I think my accuracy is good based on points, but I need to speed up...I don’t have the number of points dropped or splits, but this was the top four Limited scores out of 17 that day.

Place Name No. Class Division Pts Pen Time Hit Factor

1 Gaskins, Scott 76 M Limited 130 0 16.85 7.7151

2 Tilley, Chris 26 GM Limited 114 10 15.22 6.8331

3 Helms, Paul 36 B Limited 139 0 23.01 6.0409 (ME)

4 Thompson, Morris 51 U Limited 128 0 21.38 5.9869

Should I keep shooting and let speed come, or is there something specific I can work on to gain time without loosing accuracy? Transitions? movement? Suggestions...

There it is, after 20 years in the military my skin is so thick you can’t hurt my feelings so have at it, all criticisms will be accepted and used to see how I can improve my game.

Thanks to all beforehand, this site is awesome... what in the world did the “Old School” do before the internet!?!

(edited to identify my score)

Edited by CDRODA396

I see that you are not getting a good sight picture as your gun is being pushed out to start shooting, or you are pausing for some reason before breakin the shot. In such short distance try to keep the gun up and both hands on it . Good Luck

OK, I'm no GM, but a few things:

1. How did the #1 and 2 guys shoot it? Did you do the same target and reload spots? If not, why?

2. Just listen to the shots without watching the video.

Shot Shot

Shot Shot

Shot Shot

In other words, the transitions are costing you huge amounts of time, again especially at the second position. The good news? You're not just flinging rounds downstage with senseless doubletaps. Snap the eyes, drive the gun.

3. You don't have to be the fastest guy on the block, but, when you get to a position (particularly the second position shooting around the no shoot) look at how much time it takes you to get the first shot off.

4. Your last set up. You moved to the right just fine, but why did you shoot that one target on the move? Looks like you could have picked a spot and setup one time for the last 4 targets.

Target transitions and box entry/exits. Welcome to the world of the little stuff! Bet you got quite a few high fives for that run. Congrats.

Edited by EZ Bagger

Good run, but it didn't look like there was any urgency to me. I like that you're not throwing double taps out there, from listening to your cadence, it sounds good, like you're actually watching the front sight and there's not a lot of difference in splits between shooting/transitioning. Coming around the corner at the end, you engaged those two targets really well, and then loafed to the end of the stage.

At the draw, you didn't start moving until the end of the beep. Start at the "B" in beep!

You look like you have a very solid base. Now you need to start moving through the COF with a sense of urgency (not panic), having your gun ready to shoot when you get into position. SNAP your transitions.

Overall, it looks to me like you are unaware that a clock is running when you're shootin'. Put some urgency and speed into your movements and you're there.

Edited to add - after reading EZ's post - I think your transitions are ok - considering the distance the targets are at there not horrid - however, like he pointed out, I think you can speed those up as well.

Edited by Catfish

Take this for what you will as it is coming from someone who just made A class this month. It looks to me like you are not calling your shots. On all of your second shots, instead of transitioning to the next target your gun goes back to the same target, and then you transition. The same thing was happening on the steel. The places I really noticed it was on the last shot you took just before you moved on to the next position. When the gun is in recoil you should be moving it to the next target. Don't let it go back to the same place. The only way this will happen is by knowing that you had an acceptable sight picture when the gun went off. Calling your shots.

If you haven't got it already, Matt Burkett has a video that really gets into this. I think it is called "Shooting Faster" or something like that. Maybe it is the third or fourth of his videos. My $.02.

TG