Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First Match

gunnerBU

I will be shooting my first match this weekend and will be using a sig 229. When I went out to the range earlier this week, I noticed that I was having trouble with the first DA shot and wasn't very consistent with it. Does anyone have any tips for keeping the gun steady throughout the DA trigger pull? Just take my time and squeeze the trigger slower?

I will be shooting my first match this weekend and will be using a sig 229. When I went out to the range earlier this week, I noticed that I was having trouble with the first DA shot and wasn't very consistent with it. Does anyone have any tips for keeping the gun steady throughout the DA trigger pull? Just take my time and squeeze the trigger slower?

Dry Fire, Dry Fire and Dry Fire some more.

A lot of people struggle with the DA first shot because they try to "stage" the trigger and then snatch it the last little bit when the sight picture looks perfect. Try pressing the trigger with a smooth, constant force until the shot breaks. Just start it going and roll through it. You may want to play around a little bit with your finger placement on the trigger. With a single action trigger you generally want the center of the pad on your trigger finger in the middle of the trigger (give or take). For the DA first shot you may need to get the first knuckle a bit closer to the trigger to get a little more leverage. Make sure you're dry firing to a spot that will show you how much movement you're getting and not just to a blank wall.

First Match is so much fun.I just started myself and I just love to go out with the other shooters and have a great time!!Don't worry about anything.Just be safe and have fun

Dry Fire, Dry Fire and Dry Fire some more.

+1 dry fire will cure alot of problems and at the same time speed up your shooting ability!!!!! one thing major i have noticed about dry firing!

Joey

So I shot today... Had a blast and actually did pretty well. After the first two stages, I was feeling really comfortable and sped up the pace a little bit. I starting shooting a few misses (or mikes as I learned they are called) but it didn't even phase me cuz I was having such a good time. I had a lot of fun and I don't think I couldv'e been in a better squad. Thanks to everyone who was there. I am addicted already!!! I cant wait to shoot my next match.

So I shot today... Had a blast and actually did pretty well. After the first two stages, I was feeling really comfortable and sped up the pace a little bit. I starting shooting a few misses (or mikes as I learned they are called) but it didn't even phase me cuz I was having such a good time. I had a lot of fun and I don't think I couldv'e been in a better squad. Thanks to everyone who was there. I am addicted already!!! I cant wait to shoot my next match.

If you're throwing mikes you're going to fast. ;)

If you're throwing mikes you're going to fast. ;)

He actually shot a very solid match. Those mikes were on some longer shots - maybe 25 or so on the classic targets and he was shooting a SIG 229 with factory loads, so...

We were all very impressed with Ross' performance today. For his first match he really "moved" through those stages like he's done it before and his gun handling skills were above average for a new shooter. My guess is that if Ross sticks with it, he's gonna go far in this sport.

Good job young man!

BW

Edited by Bryan W

He's a SANDBAGGER!!!!! :D heh heh...

Everything Bryan says is true... the mikes (IIRC) were all on stage 1, which was a three box scenario that got progressively closer. The first ones were at 25 yards, on Classics. If you're not familiar with shooting at that range, its really easy to start throwing shots and not realize you're not on the paper (as we all know). Especially with irons.

A couple of thoughts on the original question of this post, Ross... I started this game shooting an EAA Witness, which has a similar DA/SA setup to your Sig. Dry fire helped tremendously in getting that first shot to be smooth. One exercise that helped was to balance a coin on the front sight, and pull the trigger, trying to avoid disturbing the coin. Another was to have some small targets, or dots, printed out and put on the walls - aim at one, and watch the sights as you squeeze the trigger - you want to the sights stay in as perfect a sight picture as possible. Start slow with the speed of pull and work up.

Course strategy is important - in general, if the stage allows it, pick the easiest possible target to start on, so that you have the most margin for error in the double action pull.

Finally - you might consider having someone tune the trigger pull for you, to reduce the pull weight some in DA (and SA).

Hope to see you again soon, man :)

Do you know of anyone in the area who can tune the trigger?

Not really in the area, but THE guy for doing work on a SIG is Bruce Gray. You can contact him here but it will require to ship the gun to his shop.

http://www.grayguns.com/

If you decide to stick with the SIG platform for a production gun, a 226 in 9MM is a better choice to spend that trigger job money on - in the long run.

Remember, you're also welcome to shoot a match with one of my glocks too if you want to see what that's like.