Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Standard Division Magazine Capacity

Even

Julien,

I'm using Wolf springs cut to 10-11 coils and SV competition follower.

In my SV mags, the 18th round fit very tight. It is possible to do a reload if you have

a little time, but a change in a tight spot is not recomended.

even

Ok Even.

Good to know.

I had trouble with a couple of springs recently, the third coil from the top seems to be reaaaaly soft. :(

One of our squadmates in SA (Bernard, the CrazyDoc) experienced the same thing with his Sv mags.

Did it happened to you or anybody else ?

Ok guys,

I'm ready to share my 2c worth mag setup.

It took me quite a while to post this because I have been in Vienna to (awfully) shoot an otherwise really funny and entertaining match (not to mention the local hospitality, worth a second visit): either I'm an incompetent, or did I eat too much Goulaschsuppe :D .

Back to the mags setup: this setup is intended to give 18 rounds capacity in Standard Division (.40"SW caliber). Be adviced that while it gives me a total 18+1 capacity at LAMR, I am not at all able to hit the reload with 18 rounds stuffed in: for reloading I have to downgrade the mag capacity to 17 rounds.

1-4-5.jpg

1-5-1.jpg

Components:

- SVI standard tubes for .40" SW,

- SVI original Mag springs,

- (Home) Modified SVI followers (red) for competition,

- Armeria Fracassi's (Italian Armory made) aluminum pads.

The Follower: I slimmed it, cutting the lower part that activated the slide stop, at the point that only the upper coil of the mag spring is contained in the follower.This is the final result:

1-4-2.jpg

The basepad: this basepad (hollow aluminum pad) is held in place via a small grain screw on the back (see red arrow pointing at baspad edge on the back), that prevents the pad slipping off the tube. No need for plastic pad (the one with a protruding star) between spring and aluminum pad: the mag disassembles as well without it.

One last word about this setup:

in the last 2 years I shot at least 16'000 rounds in 4 mags with this setup, and never, I stress it, NEVER had a single mag related jam (total count of jams in 16'000 rounds was 6, due to old deformed brass, i.e. belly bottom cases that prevented slide going in full battery).

Thanks for sharing this with us.

I'll try to post later the version of 18 rounds mags we use here in france.

Basically, it's a126 mm mag cut with a Para Ord thin steel floor plate.

It fits the box, holds 18s but as your setup, it's tough to make a speed reload with it, we mainly use them as the first mags, then reloads on 17s .

I'll give a try for the re-cut follower, but on your picture, it looks like the SV competition Follower :unsure:

DVC

Julien

:)

Julien,

you're probably right: the follower should be a (modified) SV competition.

Good spotting B) .

On the very beginning I started experimenting with Arredondo, but I forgot that, when I went to Fracassi's Armory to get their pads, I asked for those followers and ended up buying SVI competition ones because the armory was short of Arredondo.

Somehow it got lost in my memory. :(

I will try to.

The problem is that for posting photos I will need a digital camera that I don't have at the moment. :( (for the previous photos I borrowed a Friend's one).

I think that I'll give a try to SigLady's procedure (using the scanner). B)

I will need to bring the follower to my workplace, and while doing this I will also try to post some pictures of the pad.

I think the photos could be uploaded tomorrow. :)

I only have one question on your setup: I thought that the combination of a slimmed follower and a hollow base pad gave me that extra capacity of 1 round.

Now I see your magazine uses a para slim floorplate.

Maybe the Wolff spring compresses itself in a different way, allowing it to take up less space when fully compressed than the normal SVI ones?

The reason why we use the Para floor plate is because it's the slimmmest available to fit the box.

All I do is basically cut the last coil to be parrallel with the floor plate.

I tried the grinded follower and it gives me little softness in the last rounds, allowing me to reload on 18 rds mags :D

Luiz talked about that "crazy" brazilian gunsmith who entirely made the mags by himself :

The body, the spring, the follower, the floor plate.

I think the only way he achieved a 19 rds capacity is due to the internal shape of the mag.

You can't use his followers in another mags and other followers do not works in his mags.

Springs are specials too !

I want one pleaaaaaaaaaaaaase :wub:

;)

Jerome,

don't understand why you have to use a slim pad. :blink:

I assume you are shooting an S_I in Standard Division, so there should be plenty of room in the box to use a hollow base pad like the ones I use.

Are you talkin' about a Modified Division setup?

Skywalker67,

You were talking to Julien, not me...

Julien uses slim base pads from Para, because he is using a longer tube (126mm instead of normal 120mm). He the re-cuts the tube (at an angle), so that with the Para slim base, it fits flush in the box.

And, the funny part is that he uses electrical tape to keep the tube and the pad together...

Julien (am I talking to the right person? I can't remember... :D ),

the pads are available from Armeria Fracassi in Pavia (Italy), here you are a link to their website.

As far as I know, they can sell via mail, and you can contact them directly, or (if you prefer) I can contact them on behalf of you (Gavino is a good friend of mine).

Let me know.

The pads should fit every S_I tube, maybe you will have to shave a bit the bottom lips of the tubes (I did that on mine SVIs) because the pads have very tight rails.

Unfortunately no; I have been in Wien and this will be the only match abroad I will attend this year (very busy year for me). :(

But MEDCUP is already on my 2004 schedule.

Will you be coming to ESC2003 in August?

I will be there as part of the executive staff of this match.

BTW we didn't hear anything from French RD and shotgun shooters, I wonder if in your country shotgun shooters do exist?

Back to the mag follower:

I haven't been able to take a photo of the follower underside, so I tried to draw it, and here is the result.

2-1-2.jpg

Note that on the left side of the follower (looking from front), the underside cavity is deep approx 2 mm, just to safely enclose the last coil of the mag spring, while on the right side it is approx 3 mm.

The last coil of the spring (the one in contact with follower bottom) is left straigh unbent.

A couple of friends (including Jerome) and myself planned to come and shoot the ESC but it's at the same date with our STD nationals :(

This year, some people say that our sport will be officialy recognized again with a "real" national champion, so...

As far as I know nobody use to shoot shotgun matches except maybe for fun at club matches.

Here we only shoot handgun matches :(

Thanks for the drawing :wub:

Julien, a little thread drift here but....

Me and some other dutch shooters would like to attend your standard nationals

I have send twice an email to Claude Dubois for some information about the standard nationals.

Thusfar i haven't got a replay.

One of the things to know is the exact adres of the shooting range so we can plan your accomodation in the vicinity.

Maybe you can provide me with some more info regarding the match

or can suggest me an accomodation.

Greetings Adrie

btw i will never kill your joke again. :rolleyes: