Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

blind transitions

rookieglocker

Does anybody do "blind transitions" i.e. while dry firing at targets on the wall you get a sight picture on target1, snap your eyes to the next target and close them as soon as you see it.Then move the gun to target2 and reopen the eyes to check if you're perfectly aligned on the center of target 2.

The reason behind this is that you should be able to separate visual/bodyfeel inputs as we do when blind drawing

I can't think of a time when I would ever consciously not look to where I was driving the gun.

Doing that to check your index is an entirely different thing...but doing it to see if your body can find the target with limited visual aid doesn't make sense to me.

I don't see where that is applicable either.

Checking your index blind can be very beneficial on certain stages. But how would you train your body to always do one thing, when you will most likely never end up with that exact array at a match to shoot it blind. Unless you are going for classifier scores.

I don't see where that is applicable either.

Checking your index blind can be very beneficial on certain stages. But how would you train your body to always do one thing, when you will most likely never end up with that exact array at a match to shoot it blind. Unless you are going for classifier scores.

Ok, know I understand why it's not useful! :rolleyes:

thanks

I can't think of a time when I would ever consciously not look to where I was driving the gun.

Doing that to check your index is an entirely different thing...but doing it to see if your body can find the target with limited visual aid doesn't make sense to me.

It didn't make sense to me either, but I still had fun doing it. I went through a phase... I'd set up 4 8" plates, about 10' apart, at about 12 yards. I'd look at the first plate - and be very aware of the remaining 3 plates peripherally - close my eyes and draw and shoot. If I hit the first plate, I'd shoot at the second plate (eyes still closed), and so on. If I missed the first plate, I'd open my eyes and check alignment. Or in other words I'd keep my eyes closed until I missed. Once, I hit all 4 plates.

If you get bored or need some fresh stimulation you might try it. I think the value, if there is any, ;) is that it helps merge what would seem to be pure visualization with your body-feel for the actual movements.

be

I have done that, the way Brian suggested in BF, as far as indexing on the draw goes.

Different, perhaps, is "visually" acquiring and setting up on the next target through a solid vision barrier as I move into a new shooting position that has stage props up that blocking the view. That is something I'm trying to cultivate.

People I shoot with accuse me of closing my eyes when I shoot and that I could do better if I would try to use the thing on the end of the barrel. I thought the idea was to look at the target and get the gun in the way.