Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting My First Area Match

I am going to shoot Best of the Best in Reno in a month and I have never shot anything more than a local club shoot.

Any advice?

Shooting limited "B" (when I classified a limited "B", all we shot was 10 round 45s 10 some years ago(read todays L-10).

This should be interesting to say the least. Any help would be great.

Andy

Andy,

You will likely see some upper level shooter do some amazing things. Watching them, it is easy to start thinking "hey, I can do that to". Stay within your skill set. Shoot YOUR game.

Drink lots of water. Bring along some food to snack on. Try to bring something to sit on when you are able.

Don't change any part of your equipment or ammo before you go. Give you gun a detail clean, inspection and lube...then fire it enough to ensure function and accuracy after you put it back together.

HAVE FUN! It will be a great learning experience.

First a nitpick: it's not an "Area match" per se. An Area match is a USPSA regional championship.

BOB is an unusual match. It had extremely high round counts and thus rewards speed more than anything. On most stages you can't make up a D or No-Shoot fast enough, and sometimes not even a Miss. Let that sink in.

Last year the targets were full and close. There were some 180 traps for people not used to running by hosing targets. There were some flat-footed reloads or little real estate in which to make a reload.

You'll need a whole bunch of magazines, 5 or 6, and a lot of ammo.

-Don't go there planning on grabbing a soda when you're thirsty....they can go for $2.00 a can.

-Bag your gun.....the Nevada dust has been known to lay waste to many a weapon.

-Same goes for mags. Take them apart and clean them often.

-Like they said, lots of water....I like to freeze a couple of gallons, and by the time the day is hot, you got a nice supply of constant ice water.

-Don't play the dollar slots.

-B Class, huh? Don't let those B-class masters from Califlower get you too mad....you're out in the sand, anyway....what's a few sandbaggers.....:P